Installed Dynotech long tubes - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Installed Dynotech long tubes

finished my long tube install. The steering rack power steering lines and exhaust pipe to manifold were the only issues. Used a stripped bolt socket on the pipe to manifold bolts. 13mm 12mm 1/2 sockets would not fit correctly so I hammered on the stripped bolt socket and they came off and or broke. The passenger side header goes in easy and the driver side is the more difficult. lining up the steering knuckle to the steering arm was a difficult and then placing the steering rack back into its brackets. A second set of hand would have helped greatly. Bungie cord came in late into this job but they worked well in holding the drive side header in what ever direction i needed as well as the steering rack. MY spintech X pipe (No gaskets...Pssssss) just arrived from maryland speedland it sure is a nice piece. I will button things up today and clean up the mess i made. any other questions with this job just ask. I pretty sure I can do this job with my eye closed now-------danfigg

Irwin Bolt-Grip Extractors/Expanders — 5-Pc. Set | Multi-Drive Specialty Sets| Northern Tool + Equipment

SpinTech GTO X-Pipe - X-Pipes, H-Pipes & Y-Pipes - X-Pipes - X-Pipe Kits - DXGTO425..04GTO 2-1/2" X-Pipe - SpinTech Performance Mufflers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 03:22 PM

Nice. I looked into the Dynatech because they supposedly were an easier fit than others. I look forward to pics, clips and numbers.

I'm waiting on my wires so I can start on my JBA LTs and the Stolen Fox. I know I'm not going to do it alone.

Current: MGW-p, H-pipe, SS OTRCAI, Lovell rear springs, Eliminator shocks and Pioneer AVH-P3300BT, JBA LTs+catless mids, Drilled/Slotted rotors, Kooks Afterburners, catch can & Tune Next: ??? Wish list: Intake & TB, modest cam, UDP, gears
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

re

I took some pics... i had to take a break to get grade 8 bolts and gaskets. Dont get them from GM. I got my gasket(lost one) from NAPA for $4.00 as opposed to the dealer price of $30.00. NAPA # 31-640. It looks exactly like the GM gaskets I matched them up. Start it up open headers and it sounds like a drag race car the idle was amazing. -danfigg

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

re

OK long tube install is finally really complete. I found the rubber O rings on the ground so again I took it all apart, reattached the PS lines with the O rings properly installed and reinstalled the headers. I bought a 13mm and a 1/2 ratchet wrench and re installed the chassis corner braces because I didnt want to leave them off. well guess what, the driver side does not fit with the headers so I ratched them off but left the pass side on. trimmed the bolt so it does not interfer with the header and with the grade 8 bolts I bought, I installed the mid pipes and the X pipe. Every thing at this point went on well and I started up the car again and it still sounds mean. I hope when I get my tail pipes made and reconnect my kooks after burners that it quiets down alittle. I can give advice on this install if any one needs and I have 1 O2 extender (rear) if anyone needs one. You only need 1 rear as the on side reaches. The bungie cord which held my header worked well. I used this when removing the power steering lines and to tighten them up. Future plan are to make a new chassis brace for the driver side and I need to aquire a 04 mid pipe brace. ---------Danfigg
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
I've heard those are one of the easiest LTs to install on our cars and make great power with a very nice design. The only thing to make the most of them you need to get them coated inside and out.

I took off the driver's side corner brace and trimmed the studs down. That was 6 years ago and there's no problem with it at all. Can't wait to see the completed project. If you're too loud as you know from my thread the Borla XS are are a win/win with a better flowing muffler than almost everyone out there and also the quietest.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

re

agreed these headers dont go in between the steering arm. the steering arm is behind the header (driver side) I go in tomorrow for the tail pipes. Im thinking of getting another X pipe and changing muffler location like you have and getting Kooks muffler delete tails pipes. ---danfigg
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:24 AM

I'm surprised these headers haven't been more popular because of the fit.

Current: MGW-p, H-pipe, SS OTRCAI, Lovell rear springs, Eliminator shocks and Pioneer AVH-P3300BT, JBA LTs+catless mids, Drilled/Slotted rotors, Kooks Afterburners, catch can & Tune Next: ??? Wish list: Intake & TB, modest cam, UDP, gears
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

re

Drive the GTO and what an improvement. throttle is very touchy. I didnt down load the tune yet because its at the muffler shop getting the tail pipe put on. once there done, I will down load the 455 SLP tune. I hope it get quieter with mufflers because she is dragster loud popping cracklng loud...sound awesome though----danfigg
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
It's going to still be loud with those Afterburners but that's what some are looking for. LTs were the gateway speed drug for me. . .

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

re

exhaust is all done not to loud and plenty powerful. I down loaded the SLP 455 tune and the car is definately alot faster Dyno butt approved---danfigg

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00550-20120716-1421.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	463.5 KB
ID:	15281

Name:	IMG00549-20120716-1420.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	15282

Name:	IMG00544-20120713-2032.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	529.8 KB
ID:	15283
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Intake and Exhaust Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in