User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kooks LT fitment issues on 2004 GTO

Ok,
So I installed my kook's LT's this weekend, well attempted I should say. Passenger side no prob. Driver's side was epic fail. I unhooked the rack and all the obvious stuff. The header bolted up , but the rack will NOT bolt up . I would have to move the header over about a good 1/2" to move it and still have an acceptable clearance. I e-mailed Maryland Speed and Branden followed up quickly with an e-mail saying that it was more than likely an issue with the car and not Kook's header. So I called Drew at Kook's and discussed. He said to check the motor mounts for sag. I did. The mounts sagging or not is not my issue. It is more of a left to right issue. If raising the motor would solve my issue I could shim it just for the purpose of testing and then buy new mounts. Raising the motor 1/2" or better didnt get it away from the header. So I made sure the rack is at the furthest point it can be to the driver's side. Well maybe 1/16" is the most it could move, which would really be splitting hairs. Drew asked me to also check the engine cradle/k-member. I did and it is as far moved over that it could go. Also the motor mounts are as far as they could go. Again not much slop anywhere here on my GTO to make this header fit. I'm just splitting hairs because I said the bend in the header needs to go at least 1/2" over to the pass side in order to clear the rack snout. So I e-mailed them again telling them I have tried everything you have asked me to check, but this isn't going to work . I have not heard back from them today. I am kinda upset. Ya know a lot of you guys out there are doing this job on your back on jack stands. Which I must say you guys are die hards!. I have this car on a rack and it has still been a huge pain. I have used kook's in the past. I have always said they are kinda expensive, but man they have a great product that is manufactured here in the states and the quality is top notch. I hope they stand behind their product because Maryland Speed kinda washed their hands of me and said all warranties and fitment issues are through kook's themselves. I will post back to let everyone know what they did or didn't do for me by the end of the week. I spent a lil over $2,000 just on this exhaust . Surely there is something that can be worked out here .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:53 PM

Did they even ask for pictures? Hopefully they would offer to swap the driver's side header to confirm if its the car or not.

Current: MGW-p, H-pipe, SS OTRCAI, Lovell rear springs, Eliminator shocks and Pioneer AVH-P3300BT, JBA LTs+catless mids, Drilled/Slotted rotors, Kooks Afterburners, catch can & Tune Next: ??? Wish list: Intake & TB, modest cam, UDP, gears
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

I sent pics, they still wanted me to confirm that the mounts arent sagging, rack is to the drivers side etc. I would have gladly next day aired the header back to them to check it , but they kept blaming my car. I told them I could put a lil heat on it and move it but they preferred that I not do that. I really didnt want to but its the only way this header is gonna fit. I know people will heat a pipe up to make it fit, but my whole arguemnt is I shouldnt have to do this on an expensive set of headers. In my email I even asked if I could buy just another drivers side header? I'm not above it, but if it is the same I would ask they work with me. Or I should probably just take it to fab shop and have them bend it. I'm just disappointed in the company I bought it from and the manufacturer at this point. I thought paying the extra bucks for an all American made product would offer a lil more . I'll let you know how I come out.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 10:36 AM

Double check to make sure all the bolts from the header to the head are on right and that it actually sitting flush. Its a long shot but def something to check.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the long shot but with header completely bolted up you cant slide rack over without bending the header. This stinks!!But I have not lost the faith yet.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 11:56 AM

Post up some pics if at all possible. Might help us help you. If it indeed is something fixable and not the header itself.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 12:19 PM

Also, are these 1 3/4 or 1 7/8?

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 12:47 PM

I had close tolerances with my Pacesetter header install as well, new motor mounts really helped fitment. I went with poly mounts that lowered the motor. A long shot here, check your passenger side motor mount, it could be a slight mount angle issue making a half inch. Try a shim on the passenger side mount if needed, should change angle of install. A half inch variance is quite a bit, hopes it all works out.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
From dealing with fitments on different cars I can say that the builds on these cars are all over the place. If the OP gets another header and it's the same thing that would seal it. I'd be curious if these are the 1 7/8ths. I've seen where some had had issues as it's a tight fit as is.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Its the 1 3/4 " headers. Kooks charged me for another header and shipped it today. When I get back over to the garage I will try to get some pics, but I gotta say its tough getting good shots . What really stinks is, even if the header fits, they didnt have a coated one in stock. Oh yeah and Svede, I am awaiting on my Svede CAI from West Coast Speed. I hope it is more fun to install lol I do appreciate all the input from you guys. You all are truly what makes hot rodding fun, working together and helping one another! Monday when I get the header Im gonna compare them.
Thanks All!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Intake and Exhaust Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in