Need a new exhaust. - Help wanted - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need a new exhaust. - Help wanted

I am a new member here but I have been a follower for a few months now.

I just recently purchased a 2004 GTO.

Mods (that I know of) include:
Street Sweeper Cam
Stainless Works Long Tube Headers
AEM Intake
Tune(unknown)

My last car's were: 92 Z28, 2005 ACR SRT-5(50 trim setup). So I am fairly new to performance for these cars.

My question is what exhaust setup would be best for the setup I currently have. I don't plan on doing anything else to the car besides a new tune in the next month or so. Right now I am running open headers but I do have the stock exhaust ready. I'm not actually sure if it would even be worth upgrading the stock exhaust with the mods I have. The car honestly sounds great as is, but I can be certain that I will be getting a ticket if I don't make a decision between a new exhaust or the stock exhaust.

I am a pretty big fan of the way H pipes sound, but I am not against a X pipe either. I am also not loyal to any certain brand. If its cool I am probably interested. Haha

Before you ask to 'search' I have many times, so I hope this post doesn't annoy anyone. Just looking for some opinions.

My budget is around $1000.00 give or take. Once I decide on a exhaust I will more than likely get the new tune done, simply because I am not sure who did the last tune.

Any tips or recommendations would be awesome! Just looking for the best bang for my buck. Performance gain isn't necessarily a concern, but I am not against it. haha

Thanks guys,

- Obz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 03:32 PM

After the LTs & mids you aren't going to get anything much in gains or restrictions. Xs suppposedly flow better than Hs. I like the H for sound. Are you going to stick with the '04 configuration? If so get the stock '04 catback if you can. Search and listen to svede1212's setup. I love it. If you're going to the '05/'06 configuration, go to LS1GTO's site. There are a ton of clips for sound. You also have a lot of GTOs in your area that you can hear the differences with different.

Current: MGW-p, H-pipe, SS OTRCAI, Lovell rear springs, Eliminator shocks and Pioneer AVH-P3300BT, JBA LTs+catless mids, Drilled/Slotted rotors, Kooks Afterburners, catch can & Tune Next: ??? Wish list: Intake & TB, modest cam, UDP, gears
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 04:47 PM

Exhaust

I changed the exhaust on my 2004 from stock to flowmaster with the outlet for both on the same side as stock, it fit fine but did rattle a bit under load off line, and it sounded good outside but put a drone in the car. I retrospect I wish I had left the stock on, (which currently hangs on the wall of my garage)

I had a friend who instead of changing the exhaust, he got rid of the resignators. That was much better, added just enough throat.

Hope that is helpful

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips!

Ya I do plan on keeping the stock setup. I do still have the stock exhaust, which does sound pretty good still. I just wasn't sure what I need to look for with the long tube headers I have.

I'm going to throw the stock setup back on there to get it to pass emissions so I guess I'll just see how it sounds after that. I just don't want to put the mods I do have done to waist with a exhaust that will restrict flow.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
A smaller set of pipes, even if it's "restrictive", will only hurt at the top end where a lot of flow is required. Down low they theoretically make more power due to increased gas velocity. Too large of a pike makes the gases lazy down low.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Intake and Exhaust Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in