Throttle body options and future upgrades - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Throttle body options and future upgrades

I have a 2005 GTO with Kooks Lt's and Corsa Sport package. I'm going to be purchasing the SVEDE OTRAI and FAST 102mm Intake here soon. I was wondering what throttle body you guys suggest or have any experience with?? The most popular I've heard of so far was the Nick Williams 102mm because its the drive-by wire. And also what kind of upgrade would be beneficial for the MAF?? Any other air induction upgrades advice would be greatly appreciated! Because after those upgrades I will be putting the XER 273 Comp Cam kit in as well, I chose that cam because it's still pretty aggressive but street-able compared to more aggressive cams, and also in the future I will be either replacing the heads or doing some work to the stock heads. My goal is to get the most air flow I can eventually by purchasing upgrades here and there until I have the complete setup, but I'm just starting with mostly the bolt ons right now because I dont have the opportunity to do the head and cam work myself at this time, and I do want to do it myself. I know it's a lot of stuff I'm talking about so any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated from the set up I'm choosing. Thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 08:09 AM

I wouldn't bother with an expensive TB/manifold combo unless I had a huge heads/cam combo.

I'd spend the money and get the stock manifold ported. Its a terrible design stock and you will get a solid 20rwhp for cheap.

If you change the manifold, you will need a tune.

Also, don't forget you will need a clutch and likely suspension to 'use' the power from a cam.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

I understand what your saying, a throttle body/manifold combo wont do much at all for price if I dont have a good combo with the heads/cam. But the reason I want to do the throttle body/manifold combo was because eventually I will be doing heads and a cam for certain down the road. Thats why I wanted to choose a good throttle body/manifold combo now that way it works well with a head/cam combo down the road. Am I making any sense?? I appreciate the input. I'm just thinking, I dont want to just port the stock manifold when after im done with that and go to do heads/cam then Ill want another manifold. Thats really the whole reason I want to spend the money on this stuff anyways because that way in the end it will be a good combo. I understand what your saying with the clutch, suspension, tune, etc. There's always other things that may need to be upgraded for the upgrade you do, i got that. Thanks again, let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Intake and Exhaust Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in