vararam and jba mids - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
vararam and jba mids

I searched for a while now and saw some good things and bad things about the two. I have a k&n intake system with the iat breakout harness with a better iat sensor installed on the top of the filter. I like the look orf the vararam a lot more and heard that I can gain a tenth or two off my 1/4 mile over my k&n. Would it be worth changing to the vararam? Also I cant afford long tubes, so I also read that jba catless mids would help out for a good 10 rwhp then a tune to get rid of the cel. I did a 13.0 at 107 with just k&n,x pipe, slp lm mufflers and street tires. Do you guys think that going with a vararam,jba mids and a tune would put me in mid 12's? I want the svede intake but that extra 100+ dollars over the vararam I could put toward the mids. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
If you're looking for better times pick up a used pair of 17" wheels and some drag radials for the track. The 60' will cut more time than anything. If I was going to go catless mids I'd just take the cats off and have pipes welded in. For the money going catless on a stockish car isn't going to do much and certainly not 10HP. It's also going to take more than that to hit mid 12s

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

My 60fts right now are a consistant 1.9 but what do you think I could get them down to with say a nitto nt555r? Heard they will fit the stock wheels in a 275, also they are soft but not too soft so if I wanted to just dd them for the most part I could. Plus my front tires are crap right now so I could just swap the rear ones to the front and just put the nittos on to replace them. So you think maybe just a tune and son DR's? For a good drop oin times.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Realisticly, if I do end up getting the svede or vararam then add a dyno tune to it, would I notice a decent difference over the k&n kit? Like I said before, I really like the look of the ORCAI and from what I have heard are the best intakes out there for power on our cars.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Former Moderator

Garage
Yup. An intake and a tune can pick you up some decent HP and really helps with dig racing due to cooler air and less restriction. The 555R's are a decent tire. The NT05R's are even better

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Are the nt05 street tirre any good? I only track it a few times out of the year and DD it til I put it away in late october.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Former Moderator

Garage
The NT05 is supposed to be a top performing street tire. The main difference between the NT05 and NT05R is the R has a softer rubber compound and wouldn't be a very long mileage street tire. I was at the Hotrod Magazine Power Tour today in Muskegon MI and talked to the Nitto reps about these tires. I'm looking at trying the NT05R the next time I pick up a pair of tires for the strip and a set of 4 NT05s for every day when my Firestone WideOvals wear out. Then when I go to the track the DRs will look just like the front tires.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

I'm going crazy, I really want an OTRCAI. But have a guy by me who will dyno tune my car with intake and exhaust for 350. So I'm kinda torn, thinking of saving and getting the OTRCAI then a tune cuz I really dont like my k&n hot air intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Intake and Exhaust Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in