User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Drum to disc conversion

Hello, I bought a 68 GTO Convertible, numbers matching. I'm not happy with the power drum brakes on the car at all. Two questions....first, will a drum to disc conversion lower the value? Just wondering if this ruins the originality of the vehicle. Second, should I just get the front brakes converted? Im told that a rear conversion wont make much difference and will definitely be less expensive. I appreciate all of your thoughts. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hi Mike,
there are many more experts on here than me, but i purchased a 69 convertible with drum brakes that were just horrible... I converted over to front discs and it was very easy and the results were fantastic. I personally would not do the rear ones.

As far as value, I saved all the components that I removed, so if I do sell the car and the buyer wants the original parts, he/she can have them and it would be an easy conversion back if they desired.

Armand
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
^^ Ditto.....I would advocate for the rear swap as well, but more for looks....unless of course you drive it like you stole it then maybe you'll get some slight performance improvement with rear discs (front do ~80% of the work).

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Yes, I plan on keeping the drum components as well in case the next possible owner would ever want to revert.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Mike E, what is it ur hoping to gain by converting to disc?? I have power disc on the front of my '71, because it came with it. If it had power drums, I would have left it alone. I have power drums on my '62 SS 409, and they work just fine. On my '67 GTO, I had power drum brakes and they also worked just fine. I've changed them out on my '56 and '57 Chevys, no real regret, but I wouldn't do it again. I'm going out on a limb here, but I've never read anything conclusive about disc stopping you better then drums. Sure, disc are better on freeways, bumper to bumper traffic, they don't fade like drums do with constant use, but how many of us travel that way. I find nothing wrong with power drum brakes that are adjusted properly and working as they should. Just my opinion and experience.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
Mike E, what is it ur hoping to gain by converting to disc?? I have power disc on the front of my '71, because it came with it. If it had power drums, I would have left it alone. I have power drums on my '62 SS 409, and they work just fine. On my '67 GTO, I had power drum brakes and they also worked just fine. I've changed them out on my '56 and '57 Chevys, no real regret, but I wouldn't do it again. I'm going out on a limb here, but I've never read anything conclusive about disc stopping you better then drums. Sure, disc are better on freeways, bumper to bumper traffic, they don't fade like drums do with constant use, but how many of us travel that way. I find nothing wrong with power drum brakes that are adjusted properly and working as they should. Just my opinion and experience.
Well with all do respect if you have a 400 hp + car, I sure as hope you would want and appreciate great brakes. Drum brakes are absolutely awful in comparison to disc - distant, water, fade, and feel. If you drive your GTO like a prized show car and barely go above 35mph, then drum brakes will probably suffice.

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

I like to drive my GTO, and periodically press the pedal and enjoy that beautiful thrust. I had my drums replaced with newer drums and even after adjusting, I find it difficult to stop quickly, I feel thigh fatigue after having to tend to it on your plus rides, an notice an uneven brake, meaning that it sort of hops to a stop. Plus, my driveway is a slight incline into my garage. When I reverse out for a drive, I find a lot of trouble even getting the car to stop before I'm at the end of my driveway. If discs are less effort to use, and stop better, if be for that. Plus I could keep the new drum hardware if someone wants to revert.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Hello, I bought a 68 GTO Convertible, numbers matching. I'm not happy with the power drum brakes on the car at all. Two questions....first, will a drum to disc conversion lower the value? Just wondering if this ruins the originality of the vehicle. Second, should I just get the front brakes converted? Im told that a rear conversion wont make much difference and will definitely be less expensive. I appreciate all of your thoughts. Thanks!
Really won't hurt the value by converting to disk brakes. Your car won't be numbers matching any longer but if you keep the original parts then it all can be reversed later if needed. It's your car, enjoy it. If having more confidence in the brakes will allow you to drive it more often then it's a no brainer. If you just want to show the car then that would be a different story.

Just do the fronts and see how you like it. If you want more stopping power then do the rears. There are some good write ups on rear disk brake conversions using parts commonly sourced from salvage yards.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 07:40 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Been down this road so many times. Have personally converted nearly two dozen A-body's and '67-69 F-body's to factory disc brakes using '69 single piston calipers/ factory caliper brackets & factory disc spindles. Have also sold a ton of nice original disc spindles/caliper brackets/rebuilt calipers/hose brackets, & original prop valves to restorers as well as the local "smash em up" daily driver crowd.

Time after time, the front disc swap was because the customer wanted it, thought he "had to have it" on order to safely drive the car.In so many cases, agree with Nicholas, an upgraded drum system would have worked extremely well, and having gone both routes, the expense would have been considerably less than converting to a quality factory front disc set-up. In several cases, have actually removed converted front disc brake systems and put the car back to factory 4 wheel drum. One of my own keepers has received the conversion back to 4 wheel drum after receiving a truly Concours factory disc changeover (rebuilt correct dated calipers, replated correct dated part # caliper brackets, rebuilt correct casting master cYL, Gregori restored correct dates booster). Simply put, the highly detailed early '71 production factory disc setup added nothing stopping wise over a well prepped high matrix composition brake shoe drum setup. What did it add, about 50 lbs to the front of the T-37. With the Gregori restored booster, it also looked "real pretty" under the hood. There are many of us that are strong believers in the upgraded brake shoes and stiffer return springs offered by MusclecarBrakes.com (previous Praise Dyno Brakes). Link to earlier discussion:

https://www.gtoforum.com/f154/ultimat...e-parts-94073/

A problem with the aftermarket '69 style single piston caliper front disc changeovers over the last 15+ years has been what I'll refer to as the "Race to the Bottom" as far price goes while sacrificing considerable QUALITY of component parts To put it in simple to understand words:
-$79 for a PAIR of repro disc spindles, what is one getting? Time and time again, the cheap Chinese disc spindles have proved to be JUNK. Originally poorly machined on the bolt holes for steering arms, then run after run of the wrong taper holes for the ball joint studs to go through. wow! So many examples of these junk disc spindles sheering off ballpoint studs. There is no way that kind of offshore cheap [email protected] is going on any vehicle that I'm working on, or any vehicle that any of my friends vehicles who have been asking my input/parts.
-Poorly die stamped caliper brackets that have to be tweaked and ground on to fit = more poor quality JUNK.
-8" diam aftermarket boosters that don't have the vac capacity to work... more Junk!

Newsflash! If purchasing a front "disc brake conversion" complete with cheap disc spindles from one of the big internet sellers on price alone, the above parts are what you are getting. There are better parts out there, got to have a factory style front disc set-up, there are better ways to go w/o compromising integrity of some very important suspension pieces.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
I like to drive my GTO, and periodically press the pedal and enjoy that beautiful thrust. I had my drums replaced with newer drums and even after adjusting, I find it difficult to stop quickly, I feel thigh fatigue after having to tend to it on your plus rides, an notice an uneven brake, meaning that it sort of hops to a stop. Plus, my driveway is a slight incline into my garage. When I reverse out for a drive, I find a lot of trouble even getting the car to stop before I'm at the end of my driveway. If discs are less effort to use, and stop better, if be for that. Plus I could keep the new drum hardware if someone wants to revert.
I understand and respect your position. I was just sharing my limited experience and opinion. I like the power drum on my '62 409. Very adequate. No desire to change anything. At times, I do get that car at higher speeds and have never had a problem slowing it down. My '71 GTO has factory power disc up front and they work fine also, as long as there is enough vacuum, but that's not the brakes fault. I wouldn't change them to drum. What it comes down to, is what you feel comfortable and confident with. Your car. You're driving it. Best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in