Monster Clutch Kit - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
 
TEXASTORPEDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Washington
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Monster Clutch Kit

I am thinking of going with a monster clutch as a replacement. I have a 2004 GTO LS1. My question is: will a 98-02 Fbody kit fit my GTO because they are cheaper?
TEXASTORPEDO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 01:12 PM
 
700Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are your supporting mods? If you want to go cheap I have a low mile used unit off an 2006 LS2 GTO I would be willing to sell for less than half of a monster.
700Rocket is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 08:18 AM
 
SANDU002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: BROOKEVILLE, MD
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Need more info on the 98-02 kit such as who makes it and what mods you have?


67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
SANDU002 is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
 
TEXASTORPEDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Washington
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i would be buying a monster kit. As far as mods go is got a cam and CAI and full exhaust.
TEXASTORPEDO is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 09:59 PM
 
pocketmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Weatherford, Tx
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASTORPEDO View Post
i would be buying a monster kit. As far as mods go is got a cam and CAI and full exhaust.
I have a Monster Stage 2 and love it!! Stage 2 will support I believe up to 550 RWHP which is way more than I will ever put on it, this being my DD. I have simple bolt ons and a custom SNL Tune....running 390 RWHP at the moment.

God Bless Billiards!!!!
pocketmaster is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 10:54 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Make sure you upgrade the clutch master cylinder (Tick performance sells a nice one) when upgrading the clutch. The stock GTO CMC was terrible and doesn't push enough fluid for an upgraded clutch. I did not upgrade the clutch master cylinder after installing my Monster Stage 3 clutch. Since the stock one wasn't powerful enough, it started to wear down my synchronizers (grinding going into gears), then I was out 3 grand (might as well build up the transmission while I'm in there!).

Also, I know the GTO t-56 is VERY different (3 cone synchronizers) than older versions. I believe the technical number is the MN12?? I'm not sure if I have that completely correct but I would look that up and make sure that this clutch would fit it. IMHO I would but the clutch that is designed specifically for the GTO, this is not a part to go cheap on.

Just my 2 cents...
Apache443 is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 08:40 PM
 
pocketmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Weatherford, Tx
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache443 View Post
Make sure you upgrade the clutch master cylinder (Tick performance sells a nice one) when upgrading the clutch. The stock GTO CMC was terrible and doesn't push enough fluid for an upgraded clutch. I did not upgrade the clutch master cylinder after installing my Monster Stage 3 clutch. Since the stock one wasn't powerful enough, it started to wear down my synchronizers (grinding going into gears), then I was out 3 grand (might as well build up the transmission while I'm in there!).

Also, I know the GTO t-56 is VERY different (3 cone synchronizers) than older versions. I believe the technical number is the MN12?? I'm not sure if I have that completely correct but I would look that up and make sure that this clutch would fit it. IMHO I would but the clutch that is designed specifically for the GTO, this is not a part to go cheap on.

Just my 2 cents...
I have my stock Master Cylinder and it works just fine. I spoke with Steve @ SNL Performance (Makers of Monster Clutch), he was telling me the stock master cylinder is fine with these clutches. If someone is having an issue with their clutch not engaging correctly it could be a number of reasons. Like I said I have had mine for going on over 2 years now and not had one issue. I change my fluid regularly (about every 3 changes) depending on how aggressive I have been driving.

God Bless Billiards!!!!
pocketmaster is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:28 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketmaster View Post
I have my stock Master Cylinder and it works just fine. I spoke with Steve @ SNL Performance (Makers of Monster Clutch), he was telling me the stock master cylinder is fine with these clutches. If someone is having an issue with their clutch not engaging correctly it could be a number of reasons. Like I said I have had mine for going on over 2 years now and not had one issue. I change my fluid regularly (about every 3 changes) depending on how aggressive I have been driving.
This is what happens with a stock clutch master cylinder and after market clutch... I spoke with the owner of Tick Performance and he said that the CMC is a flaw of the modern day GTO... Cant get much better evidence than this video.


Again, just my 2 cents and a video to support it

Apache443 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:40 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One other thing to consider, the stock shaft that connects to your clutch peddle is plastic. Mine ended up cracking when I was driving the car (I was able to fix it using a machined piece of metal I had) but still annoying. THe clutch master cylinder from Tick comes with a metal one.

I ran a Monster Stage 3 clutch and when I did my Transmission build, I switched to an LS7 clutch and the car felt MUCH better! Check out the WS6store for that. I believe they are priced around $450...

Hopefully any of that information helps you with your decision. Whatever you chose to do, enjoy driving the car! I am stuck in Minnesota and mine is in storage
Apache443 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:42 PM
 
pocketmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Weatherford, Tx
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache443 View Post
This is what happens with a stock clutch master cylinder and after market clutch... I spoke with the owner of Tick Performance and he said that the CMC is a flaw of the modern day GTO... Cant get much better evidence than this video.


Again, just my 2 cents and a video to support it

2006 GTO with stock master cylinder, LS7 clutch, neutral idle - YouTube
The owner of Tick Performance......of course he is going to tell you that you need an aftermarket master cylinder....he sells after market master cylinders......and the video isn't proving much. It doesn't show the vehicle its on or the master cylinder that was being used. I only know mines holding up like a champ....and its a stock master cylinder and an after market clutch.

God Bless Billiards!!!!
pocketmaster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monster Clutch stg 3/Flywheel danfigg Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes. 5 10-04-2013 11:51 PM
LS7 clutch vs Monster Level 2 clutch POLGTO05 Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes. 5 05-26-2010 08:18 PM
Monster Clutch Falco21 Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes. 16 05-26-2010 03:13 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome