New GTO Owner - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New GTO Owner

Hello to all and I'm proud to say after 5 years of looking, I am now an owner of a 2006 GTO!! The car is Phantom Black with red interior and 6 speed transmission. The car has 80,000 miles on it and is all stock. The first thing I am doing is changing all the fluids and replacing the brakes and rotors. The radiator unfortunately has a small leak and will need to be replaced soon. I checked my strut mounts and of course, as I figured, they are shot. The rubber boots in the struts are dry rotted as well. I have noticed some clunking coming from the rear end area when I go from reverse to 1st gear. I have royal purple max 75W140 with friction modifier that I plan on using. I am going to stick with the Dexron III in the transmission. So where do I start??????? I have been on the Kollar Racing web site looking at front and rear suspension kits. Is this a good start??? I'm not wanting to do anything radical but make it handle like it should. Are the BC BR RACING FRONT and REAR COIL OVERS the way to go??? This car is a weekend driver and will be covered up in the garage through the winter. I have been researching on the forum long before owning one of these cars. The power is unbelievable and I am excited to make it handle like is runs. Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated. One last thing, is there anyone close to Columbus, Ohio that has some experience with these cars?? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Is Grand Rapids close? Congrats. My advice is to talk to Andy at Kollar and tell him your budget and goals. He won't steer you wrong. Unless you're racing I'd say get the cheapest spring, damper combo he has and save the extra money for the inevitable other things that may pop up. The rubber drive shaft guibos failing are somewhat common on these 8-10 year old cars. A new one piece drive shaft is the best cure if that happens. Check the BCM wiring behind the glove box too.

https://www.gtoforum.com/f3/bcm-wirin...chafing-28977/

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much. Changing transmission and rear end fluid today while I have access to a car left at a buddy's auto shop. Will check those other things out also. Thanks again

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Well got the fluids changed and it definitely needed it. Found one of the rear coil springs is broke and the rubber drive shaft guibos is shot. I now believe that's the clunking noise that I hear. I also have a small leak around one of the axle shafts. The biggest issue I have to fix right away is the radiator. Any suggestions on an upgrade or with no more than what I'm doing, just use a good aftermarket one?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 08:14 AM

Hi. I would check the top radiator hose for a hole underneath near the fan shroud. Ive heard our Goats have a rubbing issue there. Which makes people think they have a hole in there radiators.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in