Suspension Upgrade - Extra Parts? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Suspension Upgrade - Extra Parts?

Last year I ended up replacing several suspension components, both in the front and rear. I installed KYB front struts and rear shocks as well as the Kollar Racing "No Rub Kit" which includes front radius rod bushings, strut mounts W/bearings and bump stops. The picture attached is what is left over.

At first I didn't put much thought into the "leftovers" but now I am curious as to what components I have left here. I have been getting random noises over bumps in the road etc and would still like to tighten the suspension up a bit still. Are these rear shock bushings?

FYI, in the near future I will be installing brakes and rotors with Lovells rear springs at stock height so I will have the suspension accessible at that time. Please let me know what I have here and maybe other considerations... All the pieces are identical except for the washers on the right, which are different thicknesses.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,

Evan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	41921  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 03:09 PM

The top three on each side look like the rear upper shock hardware and the other extra watchers might be the leftovers from the from radius rod mounts. Did you reuse the rear shock hardware?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

I might have... That would make sense, although its too long ago for me to remember at this point. I am wondering if I should pull them out and install the new bushings because the rear sounds a bit noisy over bumps.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone have a picture of their rear lower shock mount assembly? At this point I am sure the hardware goes there and I have it set up incorrectly... What I have works but it still bothers me because I am very particular just like many of you...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Of course I do. That's not it. The lower bushing is part of the shock and the hardware is just a long bolt and big washer. That looks like the top shock hardware. I would recheck the nut in the trunk. You can under-tighten or over-tighten that nut. Also the rubber can be offset allowing the bolt to contact metal.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

After exploring the shock mounts it seems that there are two potential issues.

1.) The rubber bushings in the top rear shock mounts seem very squished. I dont know if this is normal, or if I should be replacing them with the donuts in the thumbnail that I uploaded.

2.) There is a 1/4'' gap or so in the rear lower shock mount. This would be between the driver side and the left side of the shock if your looking at svedes picture.

These issues arent huge, but I am getting a lot of noise over bumps and I am trying to make everything feel "solid"
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Former Moderator

Garage
I know with my Koni shocks there was a risk of over tightening the top nut and squish the bushings out. I ended up with Super Pro bushings which had a better stepped area to retain the bushing in place. I'd work on that area. The lower like I said is part of the shock. There should be a steel sleeve inside the rubber part. That gets sandwiched between the washer and wheel arm holding it in place.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Where did you buy your bushings? Dosent look like super pro sells direct...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 09:07 PM
Former Moderator

Garage
They used to be distributed by a local company and I just drove over and picked them up.

Google Super Pro and they have a distributor map for the US

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 10:54 PM

They are all interchangeable, Whiteline, Lovells, Pedders, Superpro, etc as far as upper shock bushings go. I had Whiteline but I removed them because they provided too much NVH in the rear for no benefit.

06/QSM/A4
SoCal Goat Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in