transmission issues! please help! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
transmission issues! please help!

So I just put a new clutch in my 2006 GTO. Car drove real good for about a month. After driving the car pretty hard for about twenty minutes I parked and it sat for about two hours. When I came back to it it wouldn't go into reverse. I tried everything. Putting out into drive gears, staying in reverse, everything! Finally after about five minutes I got it into reverse, with a lot of force. Car drove home fine. Parked it for the night. The next morning it was acting up real bad and it's been like it ever since. It is really tough going into 1-4 at low rpms. It goes into every gear fine driving it hard. But fifth great has been the weirdest. It goes in really easily but I can feel it grind every time it goes in. I'm really not sure what the issue is. Nor wanting to spend thousands chasing this problem around. Also, when the car is in gear and moving at any speed, if I rest my foot on the clutch pedal I can feel it pulsing. It made a really weird noise that first morning when it starting acting up but hasn't really done it since. Someone please help! I'm driving cross country soon and I don't want to have a break down half way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 10:43 PM

A clutch problem would first be noticed in reverse being it's not synchronized.

How is the clutch fluid. Could be a leak.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

I filled and bled the clutch fluid real good when I did the clutch swap. Not sure if there's a leak. Nothing major that I've noticed but I'll definitely check it out in the morning.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Could it be a bad master cylinder? Or dirty fluid? Im trying to check all the small, cheaper stuff before I get into clutch replacement again, or a tranny rebuild..
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You said the pedal is pulsating. It could be : misalignment, warped disc (said it happened after driving hard), diaphragm spring or even a throw out bearing. I don't think it's hydraulics because you said that you have a vibration. Who did the job. Did they change just the clutch disc or the pressure plate and throw out bearing as well. Did they check the flywheel?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Qnko, I actually did the job myself. I replaced the clutch, the pressure plate, the flywheel, and the throwout bearing. The only thing I didn't do was shim the clutch because bit didn't come with shims. I'm going to go and check my fluids right now and see if that points me anywhere.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

So I just checked all my fluids. Levels are all good. Clutch fluid looked pretty dirty but at this point I don't think that is what is causing this. I just drove the car again and noticed that it makes a whining sound when its in second gear. Even if I'm pushing in the clutch it still does it. But as soon ad I move it out of second it stops. I'm really stumped.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 09:21 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
First off that your problems occurred only after changing clutches leads me to think it's either the components or install issue. For one you should always measure to see if shimming is needed. That it didn't come with one doesn't say anything to if it needs one or not.

That your clutch fluid is dirty, although not the cause, makes me think you didn't bleed it enough as bleeding should have flushed gunk out and it takes a while to have stuff work its way up to the reservoir from the slave. I hope you replaced the slave. I would try bleeding at least a couple of reservoirs full of fluid through it again as a start. If that doesn't help taking it apart and starting over with measurements and checking the parts would be the next step. Did you replace the pilot bearing too?

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in