Where to buy Strut bumper & parts - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Where to buy Strut bumper & parts

Hello -so I looked all over the web and can't find where to buy these parts. Can any anyone point me to the place?

-front bumper stop from inside my front strut
-the bowl/plate or mount that sits on top of the assembled strut, below or inside the fender wall

Just a side question, is the silver arm on the KYB strut there for added support?

Any other advice you can heap on, is much appreciated. It took my son and & 4 hours to disassemble...it was a gas! There is no fitting wrench for the top of the shock rod, we ended up tapping on a 10mm to hold it. ha!

Thanks in advance. I'm in Minneapolis, Mn.
(I've been on Napa, Jegs, Amazon etc... no joy)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3090.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	73905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3089(1).JPG
Views:	80
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	73913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3081.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	73921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3080.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	73929  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

ok through deductive reasoning..Ha, I have removed the shipping bar. Next I an reusing the bumper as it is in near stock shape. The plate has been wire brushed clean and the reinforced/thicker ring that the bearing sits on is in useable shape & greased. Next is the torque spec of 58ftLbs for the nut on top of the strut mount bushing. How to secure the strut rod from turning without grabbing the shaft....
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
have you tried Ebay? I'm finding an assortment of parts maybe what you need can be found there?

2005 gto struts | eBay

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank'ie, I'll check your link and the rest. I'm still a bit skittish about Ebay sellers and prefer the small guy our local place of business. Again thanks and it may be the place to go..
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Need an idea please.... after looking at the strut plate, it's a bit bent. With the new springs, the notched mark isn't going to fit at the same place as the old. In other words, if the notched mark & weep hole were pointed towards the engine, they are now pointed in the opposite direction. How much will this effect the alignment/camber etc?

I looked all over (including Ebay) and can't find anyone that sells the strut mount plate and the gasket surrounding it, as it came installed on the car.. any ideas? Has anyone used a generic and if so, where did you buy it?
tia..
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat51 View Post
Need an idea please.... after looking at the strut plate, it's a bit bent. With the new springs, the notched mark isn't going to fit at the same place as the old. In other words, if the notched mark & weep hole were pointed towards the engine, they are now pointed in the opposite direction. How much will this effect the alignment/camber etc?

I looked all over (including Ebay) and can't find anyone that sells the strut mount plate and the gasket surrounding it, as it came installed on the car.. any ideas? Has anyone used a generic and if so, where did you buy it?
tia..
Most who deal on ebay are businesses selling parts who have online stores. You use paypal and or a CC to protect yourself. Check their ratings. I have never had a problem.

If they sell parts similar to what you look for PM them and ask if they have what you need.

try contacting gtog8ta.com and ask Eric if he knows where you can get the part...... they are now carrying parts for these cars and are adding items all the time.

try contacting a former Pontiac dealer in your area they may be able to direct you, ask them where they'd get the part if you brought it in.

www.gtoaa.org

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
Most who deal on ebay are businesses selling parts who have online stores. You use paypal and or a CC to protect yourself. Check their ratings. I have never had a problem.

If they sell parts similar to what you look for PM them and ask if they have what you need.

try contacting gtog8ta.com and ask Eric if he knows where you can get the part...... they are now carrying parts for these cars and are adding items all the time.

try contacting a former Pontiac dealer in your area they may be able to direct you, ask them where they'd get the part if you brought it in.
Thanks Judge. I called local Dealers and the part is stored in Lansing Mich. They wanted $150 for the plate/boot/bumper..ha! Andy Kollar said he may be able to get it shipped to him. I ended up using the existing strut plate, they weren't that bad. I'll keep the email guy you referenced. I bet I'll run into a need for "Dealer Only" parts again. I like to replace stuff as I go through a "used something..
"
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat51 View Post
Thanks Judge. I called local Dealers and the part is stored in Lansing Mich. They wanted $150 for the plate/boot/bumper..ha! Andy Kollar said he may be able to get it shipped to him. I ended up using the existing strut plate, they weren't that bad. I'll keep the email guy you referenced. I bet I'll run into a need for "Dealer Only" parts again. I like to replace stuff as I go through a "used something..
"
Unfortunately, just about any part you need to replace on these cars are gonna be commanding pirated prices. Even before warranties expired GM was authorizing dealers to use aftermarket parts as many were back ordered or no longer available. Used parts may be the only recourse for many as the older these cars get the harder it will be to find them.

Example: My '05 suffered from rear spring sag. OEM Springs do not offer the proper ride height. GM authorized my dealer to replace with aftermarket. OEM springs would take months to get here and after measuring mine and OEM it was agreed OEM springs wold not correct the issue. I purchased rear springs from a now defunct suspensions parts supplier my dealer reimbursed me and back charged GM.

I came across this site: GTOSuspensionParts.com - pontiac gto 2005 Suspension Parts

www.gtoaa.org

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Kool, thanks guys... I suspected the scarcity in parts my be a nut buster..but well worth it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Wow I am going thru this right now myself, none of the strut boots that my local parts place has fit at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in