1969 GTO Judge limited slip differential for sale - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
1969 GTO Judge limited slip differential for sale

I have a rear end that is reportedly out of a 1969 GTO Judge. I bought in 1984 from a trusted friend and have no reason to doubt his word on it. It is a positrac/safetytrac unit with 3.55:1 gears. The codes are as follows: There is an N on the front of the snout. The casting codes on the center unit are 353 above 9795084. The axle housing has 008XH. From what I read at Wallace racing and in some Pinion Head posts, this is one of the stronger Nodular iron housings with the 4 pinion set up and was an option for a 1969 Judge.

Full disclosure here: I have had this rear end under my 1965 GTO since 1987 and it works great. However, I'm about to install a Butler 467 stroker engine and I'm feeling bad about possibly destroying a perfectly good posi unit that someone might need for that numbers matching Judge rebuild, so I'm going to offer it for sale first. It does not really belong under a 65 and I would be happy to replace it with something else so it can be put to better use. I'm asking $2,250 plus shipping. My zip code is 76657 if you want to calculate shipping to your area. I would consider a trade if you have something that will bolt in to my 65, but I'm not looking for a 65 rear end. I still have the original for this car. I can take more pictures if you are seriously interested. It is just difficult to get good photos with it installed under the car and I don't plan to take it out unless someone buys it. Thanks for you time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2601.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	121441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2605.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	121443  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have something for you to review and will get some pics. Can I send direct in order not having to load on site? My email is [email protected] send me email and I'll forward pictures. Thanks

“That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind”
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 05:53 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfind View Post
I have a rear end that is reportedly out of a 1969 GTO Judge. I bought in 1984 from a trusted friend and have no reason to doubt his word on it. It is a positrac/safetytrac unit with 3.55:1 gears. The codes are as follows: There is an N on the front of the snout. The casting codes on the center unit are 353 above 9795084. The axle housing has 008XH. From what I read at Wallace racing and in some Pinion Head posts, this is one of the stronger Nodular iron housings with the 4 pinion set up and was an option for a 1969 Judge.

Full disclosure here: I have had this rear end under my 1965 GTO since 1987 and it works great. However, I'm about to install a Butler 467 stroker engine and I'm feeling bad about possibly destroying a perfectly good posi unit that someone might need for that numbers matching Judge rebuild, so I'm going to offer it for sale first. It does not really belong under a 65 and I would be happy to replace it with something else so it can be put to better use. I'm asking $2,250 plus shipping. My zip code is 76657 if you want to calculate shipping to your area. I would consider a trade if you have something that will bolt in to my 65, but I'm not looking for a 65 rear end. I still have the original for this car. I can take more pictures if you are seriously interested. It is just difficult to get good photos with it installed under the car and I don't plan to take it out unless someone buys it. Thanks for you time.

Am I seeing cracks or a broken housing?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Am I seeing cracks or a broken housing?
No, I don't believe it is cracked but that dried up, flaky build up from several decades does give that appearance. Honestly, I didn't even clean it in 1987 when I installed it. I was so happy to get a posi unit in my car, I just quickly swapped it out. So, that is essentially the build up from 1969 to today. Like I always say, I was the typical impulsive teenager at the time with little money and not much experience in life. Point well taken. I should clean that up and post some better pictures.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Here are a couple of pictures after a brief cleaning of that same area in the first photos. I don't see any cracks. It is just dirty. I honestly don't know which codes are most important so may just go takes pictures of all the letters and numbers I can find on there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2785.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1,009.0 KB
ID:	121461   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2786.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	121463  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

I've had requests for more pictures. I already chased away the spiders this morning, so I went back under the car for a few more pictures. The N is difficult to photograph since it is on top of the snout but you can see the outline on the top if you look closely. The photo is sideways so top is on the left. The other code was a bit easier to clean and photograph. Jim, still no cracks that I can see, just spiders and years of gungky build up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2789.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	121465   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2792.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	121467  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 05:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfind View Post
Here are a couple of pictures after a brief cleaning of that same area in the first photos. I don't see any cracks. It is just dirty. I honestly don't know which codes are most important so may just go takes pictures of all the letters and numbers I can find on there.
OK, that looks better. The close-up picture I referred to must have been all the caked up dirt that looked like cracking in the casting.

I would think you may have a better bite on the rear-end through and ad in the GTOAA, Smoke Signals (POCI), or even Hemmings. I would try a broader audience and let word of mouth help out.

You may have to purchase a year's membership, but if it sells the rear-end, that would be a small price to pay.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sent some pictures of my 4.10:1 12 Bolt Posi April 29th 1968 L78 rear end. Its still in the Judge working with brakes, emergency brakes cables, hubs...Not sure value differences ? Thoughts?

“That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind”
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelight View Post
Sent some pictures of my 4.10:1 12 Bolt Posi April 29th 1968 L78 rear end. Its still in the Judge working with brakes, emergency brakes cables, hubs...Not sure value differences ? Thoughts?

Maybe the $1200.00 range.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

I like the idea of my Judge rear end going back under a Judge. I also like the strength of a 12 bolt for my use, but 410 gears is more than I'm wanting. I would probably have to change out the gears and don't know what that would cost for parts and labor. I'm not willing to try setting that up myself. I've heard too many stories of new gears ruined by improper set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Buy / Sell / Wanted (1964-1974) > 1964-1974 GTO parts for sale (Price & Pictures Required)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in