Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I re-installed my dash and my oil pressure gauge is stuck on 0 and my water temperature gauge is pegged at 245 (max). The car is running fine. I suspect the issue is that I forgot to re-install the chassis ground. Would that cause the problem? (I can't understand how the gauges are wired if that is in fact the issue.)

Update: installed the chassis ground and the gauges still don't appear to be working.

Any idea what the resistance range of the water temp sending unit and the oil pressure sending unit (60 psi) should read ?

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK a brief update for others in a similar situation....

My coolant temperature sending unit went bad (shorted)....The ohm reading was 0, whereas it should read cold like 800+ ohm (from what I have been told) and then gets progressively lower resistance (ohm) as it gets warmer - non-linear.

The oil pressure sending unit was defective out of the box (POS). I bought it from AMES and hope they will replace it. The sending unit should be 0 - 90 ohms (for a 0-60 psi gauge) and is linear (so 45 ohms would equate to 30 psi).

An additional piece of important information learned from Pete @ Precision Pontiac Home Page is that the housings need to be grounded. I will be adding additional ground wires to my dash.

Hopefully I can get everything working as intended shortly :).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts