Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 GTO with this interesting electrical problem. My tailights/brake lights/reverse lights do not work. My tail turn signal lights only work on the driver side, so some kind of signal is getting back there but only on the one side. I've replaced all the fuses in the fusebox. I've replaced the headlight switch. Using a multimeter I checked for voltage in each of the taillights, nothing. On the fuse box, my GTO has seven different fuse terminals with the taillights being the third from the bottom, I only have voltage on the top three terminals, the bottom four zip. I was wondering if anyone has any leads or some kind of direction for me. I don't want to take the dash out if I don't have to. Any help would be great! Thanks!

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the ribbon cable and its plugged in and it doesn't seem damaged. I'm going to replace the fuse block underneath the dash at this point and go from there. It isn't the original its a replica from Original Parts Group. Any feedback on this?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I checked the ribbon cable and its plugged in and it doesn't seem damaged. I'm going to replace the fuse block underneath the dash at this point and go from there. It isn't the original its a replica from Original Parts Group. Any feedback on this?
May simply be the connections in the 2 halves of the box are not making contact or someone loaded the box up with way too much grease when they put the 2 halves together and the contacts are not making the connecetion as they should - assuming the fuse block splits and is bolted together at the firewall. My '68 is like this, so figure yours is too?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ground Issue

My fuseblock is the tempest style version, where all fuses are one above the other. Either way i was fiddling with the fuseblock yesterday and viola I got power back to all my fuses and taillight housings. Still no taillights though. I used a ground wire touched it to each housing, i did get two out of the four lights to work but not all of them. How do I properly ground these taillights so I can get them to work. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks John.

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
How is your car grounded now, where does your battery cable connect once it leaves the battery, on my 66 and 67 my battery cable attaches to the engine block, I have a larger braided copper cable going from the engine block connection to the frame, I also have a braded cable from the back of the engine block attached to the firewall, on the front passenger side of the frame I have a braided cable which connects to the inner fender, there is a braided cable going from the rear cross over frame and connects to the fuel tank ground and a trunk floor brace. At the battery I have a ground off of the battery to the core support.

Bonding all body panels together will stop a lot of the electrical issues, also, if your car was recently painted clean the insides of the light sockets, I believe my 67 has a separate ground wire that attaches to the trunk floor. Most of the grounds and bonding I have were not used originally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts