Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
65 GTO brake lights stopped working. Bulbs, fuse and turn signals all good. Is there a brake sensor somewhere specific to the brake electrical system?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
65 GTO brake lights stopped working. Bulbs, fuse and turn signals all good. Is there a brake sensor somewhere specific to the brake electrical system?

Ya, its probably the wireless signal coming off your chippenator box under the hood to the receiver in the left rear taillight of the reception relay.

This is 1965, not 2005. No sensors. How about the brake light switch found at the brake pedal that activates the brake lights? Look under the dash and follow up on the brake pedal swing arm on the back side - should be around where the steering column is. You should see a bracket that holds a plastic switch and 2 wires/plug going to it. Sometimes the switch can simply be pushed back over time and the switch doesn't activate as it should, or it simply goes bad and needs replacement.

The switch is typically threaded and unscrews to remove. Reverse the procedure, but set the depth of the switch pin so it activates the brakes when the pedal is pushed.

Strongly suggest you get a Factory Service Manual and a wiring diagram for your year car. The manual shows the switch and placement. It'll help if you plan on working on your car. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Thanks Jim. Simple find simple fix.. Switch rattled lose. Works fine with same unit.. Much obliged.
The switch is plastic as are its threads. Over time, the threads can wear down or deteriorate from the brake pedal constantly hitting the switch and the switch goes out of adjustment. Once this begins, it is just a matter of time before it'll back out again. You may want to just get a back-up switch to have on hand if your switch gives out and won't hold position.

Most won't do this, but I like adding a third brake light on the package shelf. It is more visible when it is right in the face of the driver/car behind you and it will reflect a little light when you hit the brake, so you know your brake lights are working.

I added one to my '68 Lemans when it was on the road. I ran a separate wire from the brake switch under the dash to the brake light on the package shelf. Reason being was the my fuse liked to blow out on me every once in a while and I knew I had something shorting out somewhere. So if the fuse popped, the reflection from the third light was no longer seen in the back window when I applied the brakes and I knew right away the fuse burned out. Not the best way to indicate a blown fuse, but in the condition that the rotted rear bumper was in and all the corroded sockets, I wasn't about to rebuild everything at that time as I knew in the future I would be doing this.

I still plan on going with a third brake light - just for safety/visibility sake.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I Use a third brake light as well.....many drivers were born when all cars had third brake lights, subliminally they don’t register a car is stopped or stopping if they do not see one.

If originality is a concern it could be placed with Velcro or a magnet, when needed for a show...

It will not look too original when the back bumper is jammed in the back seat.......I got a long flat trailer light works great inside the rear windshield and wired direct to brake pedal switch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts