Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day All,

I am new to this forum and I don't know a lot about Pontiacs. We have had this 69 GTO Convertible in the shop a couple of times repairing many electrical gremlins. I believe it has a 389CID Engine, and it has an Eddelbrock 4brl carb w/ MSD distributor & A/C. It was restored a few years ago by persons unknown. We are trying to track down a stalling problem, and we have actually replaced a couple of harnesses in the process. First, The engine harness was routed under the intake manifold causing it to burn up under the exhaust crossover, and the Dash harness was chopped up so that was replaced. The new one actually had the Fuel sender and ALT light wires crossed in the instrument cluster multi connector. with that all ironed out, it runs well when warm but burbles when cold. Additionally when the headlights are turned on, the gauges stop working and it wants to stall, warn or cold. I believe these are linked. I have been tracking down all the grounds and they seem to be good and tight, which leads me to believe there is a short in the lighting system that is affecting the power getting to the distributor. Because checking the entire lighting system is going to be a time consuming task I ask if anyone has ever run into this type of problem before, any insights, or am I on the right track?

Thank You for your help,

Robert

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sounds weird, but might be a bad headlight switch. Mine is funny, at some positions of the rheostat the high beam indicator is on with low beams, and off with high beams. But if you rotate the switch... LOL

1 - 2 of 2 Posts