Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I’m completing the build on my 492 stroker. It’s a very mild build with and MSD distributor and coil and it’s a factory AC car. There is only the factory radio. Other than the MSD ignition it’s totally factory. I’m looking to get an alternator and wondering how many amps I should go for. Looks like they come in many options from 63A, 80A, 100A, even 150A. What size is best?

Mike

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Guys,

I’m completing the build on my 492 stroker. It’s a very mild build with and MSD distributor and coil and it’s a factory AC car. There is only the factory radio. Other than the MSD ignition it’s totally factory. I’m looking to get an alternator and wondering how many amps I should go for. Looks like they come in many options from 63A, 80A, 100A, even 150A. What size is best?

Mike
The amp output was different throughout the years. Depending on body style, engine, and accessories, the cars had 37A and 55A or the 63A. There is also the optional 80A.

Check out this site which lists all the years and alt numbers: Pontiac Alternator Numbers

If you are not planning on adding big AMP draw items like electric fans, aftermarket power windows, big mega-watt stereo, then you won't need the big AMP alternator. I would go with the optional 80A unit for your car just to give you a little extra should you add anything electrical in the future. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Guys,

Mike
63 amp is plenty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts