• 1 Post By cij911
  • 1 Post By BearGFR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
New vs Old AC systems

My ‘65 came with factory air. With the heat/humidity we have in NC... man is it needed. However my compressor is locked up and I may have some electrical switch problems too. I’m thinking the most economical thing to do would be to buy a new compressor ($250) and fix what I have, using R-134. But if I ever wanted to modernize the whole system with Vintage Air, now would be the time. Have any of you converted from factory air to Vintage Air? If so, what are the differences , problems, and benefits should I expect? Thanks, Roqetman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Well you could sell your factory setup to me and buy a new one ....Sorry I don't have any real life experience upgrading an old AC system, but if both systems are operating as designed, I doubt the aftermarket would be significantly better even though it is 50+ years newer.
Roqetman likes this.

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks CIJ911, I know a shop that stocked up on R12. He says with the old style compressor it will work like it did when new. But if I go that route and have a leak down the road i’ll Have to convert it R134. So I guess I can cross that bridge when I get to it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I did on my 69. Be aware that converting to any aftermarket system that I'm aware of means that you will lose the ability to cool outside air, and also lose your 'vent' function. All these units run in recirculate mode 100% of the time.

Also, if for some reason you want to stay with R12, there are web sites where you can take online courses/certification tests to obtain the certificate you need to be able to buy it. It's very expensive, but still possible to get.

Bear
Roqetman likes this.

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bear!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I, too, faced this dilemma. My '67 GTO had factory A/C, but I bought it already modified in several regards, so was not too concerned about maintaining originality, as many here are. In fact, my compressor and many hoses and other peripheral items are completely missing.
I liked the idea of clearing all that vintage equipment off the right side firewall. I also found it appealing to not ever have to pay the price for R12, even though that should not be a frequent expense, if the system is sound. I do like eliminating cable operated controls under the dash (frequent trouble area in our cars!), and knowing that every part in the system is brand-dang new! I will give up some glove box depth, but I also like the modern, billet (quite small) control panel to install in my custom dash panel, since I will not be using the very cool adapters VA includes with their kits to retrofit the existing mechanical climate controls to electric switches and servos.
I have had good experience with Vintage Air in a '40 Ford Sedan and that is the system I chose (Classic Auto Air does not make a direct-fit system to replace in a GTO with OEM A/C) for my Goat. I plan to be installing it over the next couple weekends, so can report back, if you are interested in a complete first-hand experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in