Problem reinstalling steering column upper unit on '67 GTO - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Problem reinstalling steering column upper unit on '67 GTO

I have replaced my turn signal switch and had to remove most of the steering components below the steering wheel so I could thread new wires down the column on my 67 GTO without tilt and with console A/T. I am almost finished but cannot seem to get the upper housing that contains the switch, a lock plate with three screws and 3 small springs to attach to the lower bowl. The ring portion of this unit is to be inserted into the column and turned to lock it into position. My efforts to get the upper unit to turn so it will lock have failed. The ring will lock into position by itself when not attached to the upper collar but then you cannot insert the springs that fit over the 3 screws that screw into the ring. Is there something I can do to get the upper unit to be pressed and turned so it will lock into the lower bowl?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Problem solved. Took about 4 hours to replace '67 GTO turn signal switch and harness. Lots of disconnecting and reinstalling. A word of caution. If you ever decide to just clean the switch contacts, like I should have done first and likely saved myself a new part and installation, there are 3 hidden springs on the 3 screws that hold the switch assembly together and fasten to the hub. When you back out the 3 screws, the 3 springs will fall away and it will be a real challenge to get them back in place when you reassemble the switch components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in