• 2 Post By BearGFR
  • 1 Post By BearGFR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Windshield wiper & washer issues - ‘65

Greetings, Has anyone had good results getting wipers to park themselves when turned off? I’ve had the motor tested, came back good. But with the motor installed on the car, the wipers will not park... so, I have to switch them off manually... which is minor but I like things to work as intended. I’ve replaced the switch, no difference. I’m also having issues with the WS washer... I can hear it pumping whenever the wipers are on, whether the button is pushed or not. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Both of those problems are related. The fact that your wipers won't park and your washer pump runs all the time is a clue that your wiper motor has been apart and/or disconnected from the arm that drives your wipers and when it was reassembled the mechanism was not clocked correctly. The way the park mechanism works is that inside your wiper assembly there is a sort of relay and points such that when you turn off the power it continues to apply power to the wiper motor until they rotate to a specific position. At that spot the points open and kills the power to the wipers, stopping them. As I recall, if things are assembled incorrectly it will also cause the pump to run when it shouldn't.

Bear
Bobbyg and Roqetman like this.

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I had a qualified electrical expect check the motor (off the car), he said it was fine and it parked when he checked it. Are the points located inside the motor? If so, is that a DIY type fix? Thanks!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
As I recall (it's been awhile) - they are in the gearbox that contains the output shaft and drives the pump. It's also possible that you have the wires connected to the wrong terminals --- I know I had a similar problem when I was putting my 69 back together. Try "reversing" the connector that has the two wires. (There are 3 wires, right? One connector has 2 and a separate connector has 1?)

Bear
Roqetman likes this.

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in