User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
New Vehicle Decision

Now, I know neither of these are anything close to the GTO but help me out. I know what I like but I'm not sure on what I'm wanting to do at this very moment and I want to know what my fellow GTO brother's/sisters think. For now I'm going to buy one of these in an automatic:

2012 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Autobahn w/NAV (Black/Black)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Fully Loaded (Black/Black)

Test drove both, really liked them even though they are completely different autos. There's a $10k difference between the two but that's only about "kinda important" point involved in my decision, fuel economy as well. I live in Indiana, and usually, I would need a 4x4 or FWD due to wheather and where I travel most of the time (I'm in the south and no it's anywhere near flat/straight) but this year I could've driven my GTO if I wanted to. I need room, and definitely trunk space from time to time (dead hookers and all), but not a pickup. I'm out in the country and all over the family farm fairly often. But then I drive 45 mins to work each day as well on the hwy. I very well might buy both within a year or so but for now I need to pick up one or the other, what do you think I should do? I'm going back overseas for a few months soon as well so I hate to let anything sit but do you think it'll be that big of a deal?

P.S. The GTO is most likely getting traded in as I haven't had any serious buyers and I don't use it much anymore. I just think it's the right move. Just curious of your thoughts/ideas.

2004 M6 Yellow Jacket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I have a Friend with a newer VW TDI and he gets almost 56 mpg!!
He did however have some crazy tranny controller go out. Seem his auto tranny is actually 2 manual trannys, 1 gear box does gears 1,3 and 5 the other one does 2,4 and 6. There is a thick controller sandwiched between them that took a crap. He had to get it repaired at the dealer cause no-one would work on it. They had to send to Germany to get that part cause it's VIN# specific and they build them to order. Cost him over 2 grand to get it fixed. Nice car though.
I herd the new Subaru's get like 25-30% better mileage then last years.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:29 PM

^ Why I will never own a VW. Didn't he have a warranty, or was it out by then?

2004 GTO M6 Torrid Red
Ai ported 243s-ported Fast 90-FTI Tigershark cam-Kooks headers & cats ???hp/???tq
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
He was the second owner, no warranty.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:37 PM

That really blows. I hadn't heard anything bad about the new dual clutch trannies but it makes sense, more complicated = more stuff to go wrong. And VW will find the most bass ackwards way to put a car together.

OP, I've always like Wranglers but I've also thought they were overpriced for what they are. The new Pentastar V6 is supposed to be a HUGE improvement of the older engines though. If you're set on one of the above two I'd get the Jeep without a second thought.

2004 GTO M6 Torrid Red
Ai ported 243s-ported Fast 90-FTI Tigershark cam-Kooks headers & cats ???hp/???tq
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ouch! Yeah, VW actually has a pretty solid warranty program: 5yr/60 on powertrain, 3yr/36 on bumper to bumper, 3/36 on maintenance, and that 12yr/unlimited mile corrosion one too.

Motor Trend gave the Passat car of the year award too I believe. It's my understanding VW wants to be the best selling car manufacturer in the US by 2014. I dunno if it'll happen but the Jetta is currently one of the best selling cars in the nation right now. And they want to change the preception that owning a VW is an expensive venture.

There is however, a giant misconception that all VW's are made in Germany but actually a lot of them are made in Mexico now as well as their parts. Which, one could argue, could affect their reliabilty, future ratings will tell I suppose.

2004 M6 Yellow Jacket.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperT4 View Post
That really blows. I hadn't heard anything bad about the new dual clutch trannies but it makes sense, more complicated = more stuff to go wrong. And VW will find the most bass ackwards way to put a car together.

OP, I've always like Wranglers but I've also thought they were overpriced for what they are. The new Pentastar V6 is supposed to be a HUGE improvement of the older engines though. If you're set on one of the above two I'd get the Jeep without a second thought.
Yeah, I have to admit $42,000(sticker) for a Rubicon is kinda silly IMO. I really thought it was nice and capable, but c'mon that much!? My buddies who own slightly older Jeeps say the new motor is pretty sweet. I'll say it was plenty powerful for the way I drive.

Btw, the only reason I'd go with the Rubi vs. the Sahara is the fact that once you customize them and load them up they're the same price. So I just figured I'd go with the one that has the better re-sale value. Plus, driving both, there wasn't a crazy difference in regular driving.

2004 M6 Yellow Jacket.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 AM

A friend of mine owns a shop(Rt 100 Euros) and he specializes in VW, Audi, and Porsche. He said he would only get a new Jetta on a lease because once the warranty is over they are turds.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in