• 1 Post By GTO44
  • 1 Post By michaelfind

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Water Wetter

I have a 12 oz container I'm getting tomorrow and was planning on putting it in my '65 GTO
because It runs a consistent 210 degrees estimated, looking at the factory gauge.
I'm really not expecting much, am I right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:13 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph7 View Post
I have a 12 oz container I'm getting tomorrow and was planning on putting it in my '65 GTO
because It runs a consistent 210 degrees estimated, looking at the factory gauge.
I'm really not expecting much, am I right?
I used it in my mild 400CI build when it was running hot. It did drop temps down about 8 degrees.

Don't rely on the factory gauge. Get an inexpensive hand held laser temperature gun at most any auto parts store. My '73 Fury gauge reads hot and would climb to near boiling according to the gauge. Checked with the laser gun, the temps were far cooler and well within boiling over as I had thought.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
I used it in my mild 400CI build when it was running hot. It did drop temps down about 8 degrees.

Don't rely on the factory gauge. Get an inexpensive hand held laser temperature gun at most any auto parts store. My '73 Fury gauge reads hot and would climb to near boiling according to the gauge. Checked with the laser gun, the temps were far cooler and well within boiling over as I had thought.
I have a temperature gun like you describe.
How much difference do you think there is between the actual coolant temperature and the surface of the thermostat housing?

Edit- I just checked my truck and there is a 20 degree difference between the outer housing and my temperature gauge, which I'm pretty
sure is close. I'll check the goat later.
Edit- The goat checked 171 degrees with the gun at the housing, which would be about 190 degrees, if the temperature differential is the same as the truck, so maybe I'm good.

Last edited by ralph7; 08-27-2019 at 06:53 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:11 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph7 View Post
I have a temperature gun like you describe.
How much difference do you think there is between the actual coolant temperature and the surface of the thermostat housing?

Edit- I just checked my truck and there is a 20 degree difference between the outer housing and my temperature gauge, which I'm pretty
sure is close. I'll check the goat later.
Edit- The goat checked 171 degrees with the gun at the housing, which would be about 190 degrees, if the temperature differential is the same as the truck, so maybe I'm good.
You can also shoot the radiator at different points - you may find a hot/cold spot that could indicate blockage or poor flow which will affect overall cooling.

You should also see a difference between the top of the tank and the bottom as the hot coolant enters and is cooled through the radiator and back into the engine.

If you have not already added the water wetter, I'd add it to see if there is a difference.

Factory gauges are not always as accurate as we would like them to be.
ralph7 likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I was going to use it once, but didn't. From reading about it, it seems to work best with plain water. I live in the northeast and have antifreeze in all my cars. I didn't want to change out the water at the end of the driving season and put antifreeze in. If I lived in a warmer more seasonable climate, I would try it. Got nothing to lose, Nicholas.
ralph7 likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I’ve had good results with water wetter. Its not a cure all for over heating and doesnt work miracles but it have seen a drop in temp on the cars i’ve used it on.

The premise is pretty simple. It gets rid of the tiny air bubbles along the cooling passages inside the block. No bubbles means more surface area for the water/coolant to extract more heat.

It has different levels of effectiveness based on the water to coolant/antifeeze ratio.
ralph7 likes this.

2006 GTO M6

Motor - Stock with Vararam
Bunch of suspension
Bunch of brakes
Stock tune

365/368 std
12.81 @ 110.6 2.03 60'
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I live in Texas where summer heat gets to everything! I tried it first in my GTO with good results. Now I run it in the family van, farm truck and the tractor too. It really does help bring down operating temperatures.
ralph7 likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Here is an interesting comparison:

https://www.lubegard.com/products/koolit-treatment/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in