used cams - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

used cams

I acquired a bunch of used cams that are in good condition. No awkwardly worn lobes ,still see the coating on the base circle and sides of the lobes.. They were early fuely cams, 365-375 HP cams, and first design LT-1 cams.. the lifters are no longer around..
The question is...Can I put new lifters on it and break it in normally? Would it live?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 03:07 PM

Personally I seriously doubt it. Generally the same lifter that came off that lobe has to go back on it. It isn't a matter of finding a coffee can full of used lifters and throwing them together. The parts wear into each other making a perfect lapped surface. Change it and they start wearing again without the benefit of the phosphorous coating applied to the cam when it was new to limit wear.

You are aware that the 375 horse 396 BBC was a solid lifter cam and not a hydraulic lifter cam. As such it will require stiff springs to stay out of valve float which will further complicate the lack of DZZP in your motor oil leading to a cam failure unless added to the oil.

LT-1 350 horse motor in a Camaro used a solid lifter up dated 30/30 cam (more duration to account for the larger displacement and a touch more lift just because they could). The 2.02 double hump heads were equipped with the strongest Z/28 HD valve spring.

On the other hand the LT-1 out of the Corvette used a hydraulic lifter to achieve the 360 horse power that they advertised. I have never been able to wrap my head around that one.

The hydraulic 'vette cam is the same as that used in the 350 horse L-79 optioned 327 cam used in the 1966 Chevy II to win Super Stock that year (I suspect that it was a Harvey Crane cam custom ground just for Chevy to beat up on the Hemi powered Dusters-Dart and Baracudas).

If you check in Colvin's Chevrolet by the Numbers series of paperback books for the year they claim they are out of; you can pull up cam specs and identifying casting marks (just like heads cams had marks to allow the correct cam to be installed in a motor without having to check the numbers cast into the core). That way you will now what kind of a pig in a poke you actually bought. If the BBC cams have a groove around the back journal then they are for a 1965 or 1966 block: and they will only work in those two year blocks due to the changes in oil feed.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page