Engine Stalling when put in gear after carb swap - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Engine Stalling when put in gear after carb swap

Hello guys, im really hoping you can point me in the right direction here.

I recently swapped out my old Holley double pumper for a new Edlebrock 1806 with electric choke on my 65 impala with SBC 350 and t300 trans. I installed the carb with no problem and also added a fuel pressure regulator to drop the pressure from the pump from 7 to 5.5 psi. The car starts right up and idles beautifully at around 900-1000 rpm.

When i put the car in gear the rpm drop to a little above 500 and if i don't feather the gas and break it stalls. I did not have this issue before the swap. I double checked my vacuum line were connected correctly and that my power brake vacuum is plugged since i don't have power brakes. Do i have to re-time the motor because of the swap? I am at a loss so any help is appreciated!

I might add that i don't have a lot of experience but i am pretty mechanically sound so i try to do as much as i can myself. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 02:13 PM

Two things: 1,000 RPM is far too high an idle for a stock car (top fuel motor maybe, but not a stocker). Second 500 is too low an RPM for the motor in gear at idle. You want around 750 at idle and about 550 to 600 RPM in gear.

There is no reason for the car to idle higher from just a carb swap. If you swapped the cam I could understand it. Assuming your cam is stoner stock the stock torque converter should work with it. If you swapped a cam that requires a higher RPM stall converter then everything you pointed out would be expected as "normal with a long duration cam

Big Dave
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

I dont know the cam specs but it is very mild. the car idled t 900 before the carb swap so i tried to keep it in the same general vicinity. If i lower the idle rpm wont that in turn lower the rpm in gear. I have tried looking for a vacuum leak anywhere and i cant find any. I will play around with it again this evening. Thanks for the info.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 07:23 PM

If it won't idle down below 900 to 950 that is probably more cam than a stock converter can handle.

They are called stall converters because the motor stalls when you put it in gear with a converter that is too tight. A slightly smaller converter (as you reduce diameter you increase the stall RPM) is the one used in the Corvette that has an additional 600 RPM over the stone stock one. Because it isn't sold as an aftermarket converter but as a stock service part for an expensive sports car it is generally only $20 to $30 more than a stone stock service part (Which is usually $45 to $60 compared to the $450 to $1000 for an aftermarket converter). That little bit of added stall RPM is apparently all you will need to get your car back on the road with your cam and it's new carb.

Though for the life of me I can not understand why a carb change would cause this problem.

Big Dave
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

That's what I was thinking. I never heard of a carb swap requiring a converter change but I will look into it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 10:29 AM
BA.

do you have a vacuum advance distributor? if you do, which front port are you plugged into?

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

I believe I do but not sure. I currently have it connected to the time vacuum port.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1415374682.894305.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	8914Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1415374725.161663.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	8922

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was able to properly adjust my carb. Just needed to be patient and take my time and be methodical with my adjustments. Car is running like a champ now.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 02:16 PM

I would keep a torque converter swap in the back of my mind. Your car is on the edge of a whatever you have in the car. Read up on stall speeds to test to see what you have inside your car now (you may already have a Corvette torque converter installed).

They are expensive, but you will enjoy driving your car a whole lot more with a looser converter. It will allow your motor to generate a little more power before the car starts to move and load down the motor. As you have found out the motor will stall if loaded to quickly.

Big Dave
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 03:44 PM

A lean idle mixture can cause the engine to stall when put in gear. At idle in neutral or park, the engine needs the least amount of gas. In gear, it's under load and needs a bit more fuel even at idle. Opening the idle mixture screws 1/2 to 1 turn will solve that.

But as others have said, check for vacuum leaks first.

1965 Impala SS, 383, 4 spd
1970 Caprice LS-4 454, TH400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page