Engine Swap from 305 to 383 Stroker Garage Labor? - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Engine Swap from 305 to 383 Stroker Garage Labor?

I want to get some work done by a local garage on my 67 SS but want to get a feeling for their quote if its reasonable/fair or exaggerated.

Currently have a good running 305 but its always leaking some oil and not realy strong so I thought about getting either fixed or upgraded to 383 stroker.

For the engine reseal they quoted 14h ?

For the engine replacement with:
BluePrint Engines BP38313CTF1 + Small stuff
+ Summit Racing SUM-G9101 - Summit Racing® Metallic-Ceramic Coated Headers
+ Pypes Performance Exhaust SGB10V - Pypes Violator Dual Exhaust Systems

they quoted 16 hours, which feels quite a lot or am I wrong? or is that fair for labor? Thanks for your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 07:41 PM

Sounds reasonable to me for an average garage out there, but is that a guaranteed 16 hour limit or just a "rough" estimate. Many times small little problems can run into overtime. The other thing that would concern me is the Labor Price. Do they charge $50 per hour or $200 per hour?

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks @62BillT . they are muscle car specialized garage and take $85/h. i just thought getting the engine in & out might just be a 8-10h job so I was surprised they quote 16h which felt way to much? maybe my assumption is totally off ?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 09:49 PM

Just switching an Engine to another similar Engine can go pretty quick sometimes, but when you add in non-original parts like Headers and full Exhaust, there is usually something that will go wrong to slow things up, lol. The garage is probably allowing for that, which is common.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 12:19 AM

Without A/C or the other accessories found on conventional passenger cars I could swap engines in under eight hours working just by myself. This would be in a Camaro or Nova with headers for the same SBC or BBC motor. To change engine type took longer because other parts had to be changed in these cars to get a BBC to fit due to the big blocks larger size. In an Impala this is a non-issue. You are changing one SBC out for another. Assuming both use the same water pump and brackets it shouldn't matter as everything unbolts and is reused again in the same place. Change from SBC with a short water pump tp a long pump and you don't have the correct brackets on hand it could be several days to swap it over. Change a transmission from auto to manual and you are adding a lot of shop time as all of the hardware has to be changed over, holes drilled, and pedals added or subtracted.

There are a lot of parts that bolt to an engine, but very few holding the engine in the car. Swapping the engine is easy. Getting it to run again and drive off is the more difficult part.

At a national meet the NHRA gives you 45 minutes to change an engine out, though most choose to just rebuild it in that allotted amount of time. Of course a professional team will have twelve to fifteen crew members working on the car during that interval. Not just one extra helper like 87 year old Chris Karamesines has in his crew on his top fuel drag car. Chris puts me to shame being fifteen years older than me and he is not only still driving a top fuel dragster in national competition, but he is still wrenching on his cars.

By the way twenty years ago when I had my own shop and five employees I charged $250 to swap out a SBC for another SBC in a street/strip car.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 04-25-2016 at 12:31 PM. Reason: typo repairs
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 10:59 AM
BA.

I would have thought 12hrs to be more appropriate, even given the headers and 'small stuff'. (and even removing the old)

wouldn't hurt to tell them you don't understand the quote and request a break-down.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 02:47 PM

I agree it's a bit on the high side, but I don't blame them. A good idea to pad a bit for the unknown time wasters that always arise on swaps. No chance of doing it yourself? An engine hoist is a lot less than paying labour!

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page