Motor mount question - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Motor mount question

So I'm installing the 327 in my 65 impala this weekend. I have a basic question I have been looking in my a.i.m. to answer but can't seem to locate.
On the motor mount brackets that mount to the frame can someone tell me which direction they go? I don't have the car at hand nor do I have the brackets as they are both in my trailer 50 miles away. I know one way can be off about 2 inches as I put them on wrong in my camaro and had to pull back out. Just trying to do it right the first time.
Sorry I know basic 101 stuff but I could you the help.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 10:45 PM

They are going to fit fine if you have the right parts. Problem is if you bought them at the corner discounted parts store the are probably for the wrong year car.

Chevy made four different motor mounts from 1958 to 1972 when the motor mounts where changed to the clam shell design. There were a set for the 283 140 horse SBC and another set for the 375 horse 327 (or any big block). The difference in the motor mounts made from 1958 through 1968 was that the standard motor mount were just two pieces of formed steel glued together by rubber sticking to the metal (Vulcanized). In all high performance applications (defined by Chevy as a motor factory rated at 300 horsepower or more) the motor mounts actually interlocked together so that they couldn't separate even if the rubber broke free from the metal.

That accounts for two sets of motor mounts; standard and high horse from 1958-68. Starting in 1969 through 1972 a second set of motor mounts where made to satisfy a government recall to fix a problem with all of the standard motor mounts failing in service. These new mounts where made exactly like the old mounts that broke if you tried drag racing, but the spacing between the ears changed as did the bolt hole location. This was done to prevent the two mounts from being interchanged. This didn't strop a lot of people from forcing them on with pry bars and big screw drivers. (this is the wrong way fitment problem scenario that you are trying to avoid!)

All of the recalled 1958-68 cars received a torque limiting strap that consisted of a couple of brackets that bolted to the exhaust manifold and used a five ton wire cable sling to encircle the upper A-arm cross shaft. This prevented a SBC with a broken motor mount from rolling over pulling open the throttle rod as the motor reacted to engine torque. It was the cable that allows the non-interlocking motor mounts to work with todays higher powered cars. Unfortunately no one sells the cable and it won't work with tubular headers. This forces you to find a pair of early (short and wide) interlocking motor mounts as used on a big block or high horse small block. The Tall and Narrow 1969-'72 style is most commonly sold across the counter at your corner discount import auto parts store as that is all their computer thinks your car needs.

Get the right part and it will fit as they use the same mount on both sides.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...gineMounts.jpg

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Dave thanks but I'm good on the motor mount itself. I'm talking about the bracket that mounts to the frame and attaches to the motor mount.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 12:05 AM

I'm about 99% certain that they can only go on one way. Whenever I sell a set, I like to label them L & R, but I seem to remember it being not really necessary on the Full Size cars.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks that would make it much easier.
I appreciate your help!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 10:07 AM

Unlike the Camaro with a big block the full size Impala uses the same frame stands for the small block and the big block. There is a difference from left to right, but that should be apparent when you lay them on the cross-member which way they go. Where there is a problem if you ever remove the frame stands for some reason is in finding the correct holes to use; as the frame is punched for both Chevy as well as BOP engines.

If you have not removed the stands then you are good to go.

Big Dave
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Yes Dave you were right. The brackets are side specific and easy to determine which goes where. I did not have the car or brackets with me at the time just trying to stay ahead of the game.
Thanks much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page