Engine Dies When Put in Gear - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Engine Dies When Put in Gear

I've got a really crazy situation.....drained some really old gas out of the tank, filled with non ethanol 90 octane, started it up, ran it for quite awhile in the driveway. Thought I'd check the timing, was at 8 before (w/o vacuum), thought I'd try to fine tune the idle (new Holly two bowl, not double pumper). The car ran fine with the old gas, just stinky as the gas was probably 2 years old.
Idle was fine, revved with throttle snap just fine. Put it in gear and it dies. Every time! Tried everything, leaning the idle, enrich the idle, change idle speed. The engine by now was quite warm but certainly not boiling over. Thought about vapor lock but that doesn't make sense either! Let it cool for about an hour. Tried it again. Idles fine, dies immediately when put into either reverse or drive. Almost like you turned off the ignition but it does try to run, just stumbles badly and dies. Any possibility that the torque converter has locked up? Trans is a PG. Beginning to think it's purely a coincidence that this happened at the same time I changed the gas. More and more inclined to think I've got a transmission issue. May try lifting the rear wheels and then putting it in gear and see what happens. If it keeps running it's definitely a locked up torque converter. Any thoughts?????

Last edited by rbwinston; 09-15-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page