Trouble starting when warm - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Trouble starting when warm

Looking for some help before I start my investigation.

I have a 64, 327 pretty much all stock. The car starts up fine when cold. I can drive it around, have fun etc. If I turn off the car to run into a store or something, the car will have trouble starting again. This only happens when it is warm. The problem is something electrical because it is barely turning over. One time it happened and the car was completely dead (tuned key and car barely made a noise). I got a jump and got it home. Next day - cold start, fires right up. Next day same thing. It's as if something in the electrical system is getting real hot while running and then conks out after a recent restart.

If the alternator was bad and not charging the battery, wouldn't the car be hard to start even on cold starts?

The battery is 10 months old.

Thanks for any insight you might have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 09:19 AM

My first guess is the starter solenoid. On my 69 GTO it happened all of the time. To solve it, I installed a Ford style remote solenoid on the fender. Pontiac had a design issue where it was on the starter and right next to the exhaust manifold.

I ran it using the remote one for years. Then when I had to replace the starter, I swapped it out for a beefier one for a 455 engine and it worked fine without the remote solenoid. I am not sure where the starter solenoid is on a 64 Impala, but it is worth a check.

Good luck.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 09:44 AM

your timing may be too far advanced.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 11:31 AM

Rather than a heat soaked starter I would be more inclined to believe it has worn out brass bushing in the starter motor itself allowing the armature to sag closer to the stator (case that holds the magnets) which requires more current to turn it over. Heating up the parts brings them closer together as they expand.

Still as attractive as that theory sounds; I would have to agree you have far too much ignition lead in your timing.

Big Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 04:55 PM

I would say that it could be the Starter as well. Also agree on the Timing a possibility. I would also say a bad Battery too, but I see that your Battery is pretty new.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 03:07 PM

Hi , I had similar problem and it was a battery. I made total restoration of starter and it looked like problem fixed. Until again did not start on warm engine -no sound and control lights darkened -same before. Went to check the battery- proper 12,6 V but under load only 38% of power left. Since the new battery is instaled there is no problem.
BUT I have another problem . When engine is HOT ( after good run) the low revs are very low and finally goes out. Starts , but still low revs and out. When gets little coller then all ok. Any ideas ? Engine 327 Impala 1967 .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page