The engine switches off when hot. - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

The engine switches off when hot.

I have a problem . When engine is HOT ( after good run) the low revs are very low and finally goes out. Starts , but still low revs and out. When gets little coller then all ok. Any ideas ? Engine 327 Impala 1967 .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 01:11 PM

Sounds fuel related to me. It could be you're boiling your fuel supply if you have a mechanical fuel pump with your fuel lines too near an exhaust pipe or muffler.

The suction of a mechanical pump lowers the boiling point enough to cause it to boil the gas then all you get to feed your carb are fumes.

Big Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

It is possible? I will try to isolate the fuel line, but this happened when outside was quite cold and should be not enough time to warm up so rapidly the fuel . What you think about coil?

Last edited by impal67; 11-05-2016 at 02:37 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 02:51 PM

Are you running points or an HEI?

Chris
Warrenton, OR
'68 CJ-5 - Sold
'74 Nova
'10 Camaro
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Sorry , I don't understand. What is HEI ?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 01:13 AM

A High Energy Ignition. Has your engine been converted to an electronic ignition system from the original ignition points? If so, that is likely what it would have.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Ok. Thanks for info. No, my engine is pretty much stock, regular distributor and coil. No electronics.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impal67 View Post
Ok. Thanks for info. No, my engine is pretty much stock, regular distributor and coil. No electronics.
You could possibly have an HEI using small cap parts instead of the coil on cap used with most HEI applications. If your points where removed and replaced with an aftermarket HEI module. Or the previous owner may have used a Small Cap HEI off of a 1987-'91 Camaro, or pick-up truck with TBI or an Impala or Corvette with TPI. Not as likely as there was a small window of applications with factory small cap distributors before the OBD II computer took over the ignition timing on computer controlled cars (OBD II controlled distributor will not have a vacuum advance can on the distributor).

Problem with HEI is the earlier GM factory modules were limited to about 4,500 RPM before the transistors inside the module overheated and the HEI stopped working. Aftermarket HEI uses mil spec transistors and heat sinks to pull the heat out of the module as fast as it builds up.

Big Dave
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys, I will check what kind of ignition system is there. For me it looks like normal distributor connected to coil with capacitor, but..... . I will able to check this in January ( I am away from home for a while ) and will inform about progress in finding the solution. Many thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page