Accessory brackets - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Accessory brackets

Here I am again, looking for help. Would like to say thanks for the input when I post. Progress to car is slow but steady. Have the 400 mated to the glide, all seems well. Headers fit great, waiting on small cap distributor to fire this thing up. I am wondering if anyone who currently is running camel hump heads would be able to give some insight on how my alt and ps pump should be mounted, alt left side ps pump right? Been looking high and low for the brackets and not getting much luck besides gigantic ones that push stuff way outside where I want to be. All of the original gear is gone from the 283. Do I need some special ps pump for the steering? Thanks again, merry Christmas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 08:14 PM

Power Steering pump is always on the drivers side. 1955-62 it was attached to and mounted on the back of the generator. With the introduction of the alternator in 1963 it dropped down below the head on it's own individual brackets (three of them). With heads without accessory mounting holes you are going to have to use a short water pump, and short water pump brackets, and short water pump pulleys to mount your alternator and power steering pump so that the belt aligns with the water pump pulley and the crank pulley.

GM swapped everything over in 1969. The long water pump (found on a SBC 400) will not work in an older car body unless you adopt all of one system or the other (pick one short or long water pump. Once you choose you have to replace everything in order to get a belt to align.

That said I usually say a nasty word and use either Zoops or March billet aluminum pulleys and billet brackets brackets for my motor and water pump; only using a seven rib serpentine belt with normal rotation of the water pump (requires two belts). But without accessory holes in the head you are limited to something like this:

https://marchperformance.com/chevy/c...ater-pump.html

Or you are stuck with a short water pump and used parts that are hard to find. V-belts are getting hard to find as Goodyear, Dayco, and Firestone no longer make V-belts for automotive use.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:30 AM

The stock small block alternator bracket mounted to the good old ram horn exhaust manifolds. Since you have gone to headers you will need to go into the aftermarket to find a bracket. I did hear about some company making a bracket that mounted to the header flange bolts that would recreate the stock mounting option.

Attached pictures of how your stock 283 would have mounted these. This did come out of a 63, but I don't think they changed much in 64 on this. The bigger change was the power steering gear box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1488.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	21980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1489.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	21982  

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I have installed the small cap distributor with a coil and started this thing up. Actually started quite easy. I have aftermarket mounts I purchased to place the alternator on passenger side and ps pump driver side. Going to order the ps pump from rock auto in the next order. Recieved the new tank, sending unit and straps last week. I would like to order brakes soon and am not quite sure what to do. I dont remember if this thing had a booster. It has drums front and rear, one day I would like to do disc swap on the front at least. Do I have a choice on which booster and master combo to put in to set me up for the swap down the road or am I stuck with manual till I decide to commit?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Deadwolf that pic explains alot. I was wondering why the harness had the alt wire on that side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page