Engine General Engine Discussion.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By BA.
  • 2 Post By marsmann
  • 2 Post By Deadwolf

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

1995 C 1500 v6 starter troubles

I know, this isn't performance or Impala, but I am at a loss. 1995 Chevrolet Silverado C-1500. V-6 auto. 160,000miles. I have replaced starter three times now, always the same results. Works great at first, then pretty soon the starter does not engage the flywheel. Most times it takes more than three or four tries to get it to work. No grinding or any other noises other than wrrrree. I tried to shim it but no difference. The starters are from Orielly auto and I was smart enough to but the lifetime warranty, but it is still crappy, living in North Dakota! Any ideas? What am I missing? PS the flywheel is stock, the drivetrain has never been disturbed. The flywheel looks fine, at least what I can see of it and the starter gear looks fine too...WTH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:28 PM
BA.

You've probably cross-posted this question elsewhere but I couldn't leave ya hanging.

When you say "No grinding or any other noises other than wrrrree." that tells me that the 'Bendix" in the starter is most likely not getting kicked out to even have a chance of engaging the flywheel. The only other alternative is that the starter gear does kick out but completely misses the flywheel gear which is way much less likely.
I've heard this issue of the bendix gear not getting kicked out as a semi-common issue with rebuilt starters.

I'm not sure if you have any removeable covers under there around the flywheel that might give someone a line-of-sight to confirm my suspicion but you might take a look.
Else, you could try 'bench-testing' the starter yourself, or at the store to see if you/they can get the gear to kick-out while off the vehicle.

Have you tried a different auto parts store or looked for an 'all new' replacement, not a rebuild? Perhaps NAPA/CarQuest would have a better unit? Sometimes PepBoys or other stores at least offer you different manufacturer options.. You could ask about that.
marsmann likes this.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 06:07 PM

BA gives sound advice. I have seen this happen with:

rebuilt or reman starters
cheap quality starters

The other thing to look for is some of those mid year changes. 95 is one of those years where GM was doing a lot with these trucks. Everything from interior changes to EFI from TBI, etc. and some of the trucks were getting previous and new year model parts. GM started issuing 9 to 11 tooth gears on these, and some of these starters also varied on how far out they come during cranking. I assume you are getting the right ones since they work and have actually started your vehicle but if you have the original one, compare closely to make sure you are getting the right replacement part, with the right teeth, and that will come out far enough to engage.

Beyond all that, check your flywheel for missing teeth in case the whirring sound is not from it not coming out like BA mentioned, but from spinning in place due to missing teeth. If that happens again, one possible thing to try is with the truck off, put the trans in something like "L" gear, take off the park brake and move it forward a feet or two to rotate the motor some to see if you can get a new position on the flywheel to engage and see what happens.

All that said, I suspect it is a crap shoot of starters you are dealing with and I would go and get something from NAPA or other place to try a different brand.
Big Dave and BA. like this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:47 AM

Do you have a modified exhaust or are you missing any heat shields that could possibly be causing your exhaust to heat up the solenoid in the starter?

Are you heading the click before you hear the whirl of the motor? This click is the gear engaging on the flywheel.

How long did each of the replacement starters operate before they went out on you? Was it just a couple of good starts or a couple months of good starts?
Big Dave and marsmann like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page