PG making noise in park. - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

PG making noise in park.

Ok this is my first PG & i was told that it was normal to make some noise when in park but this seems to be a little much.

It almost sounds as if the starter is being spun whith the speed of the motor, or if i had a gear driven charger, but you put her in reverse & it goes aways, go to neutral & it returns but at about half the noise level as it was in park.

If i go from reverse to park the noise wont return until i take my foot off the brake and all the weight of the car is held by the tranny "park pin". then once its there if i start to rock in my seat i can make the noise come & go by shifting the weight of the car against the so called "Park pin".

This is in my 64, & as far as i know the tranny is original.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 10:56 AM

Hmmm - what is the fluid level looking like? Also, what is the condition of the fluid? I'm thinking it can't be anything too bad or it would make noise (or worse) all of the time.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 01:36 PM

A whining/gear noise is normal for a PG. Real tough tranny depending how much HP you put to it. I had a 57 chevy tube chassis car 740 hp 522 bbc with a stock Pg except the Input shaft,the shaft clutch hub,high heat clutches and a TCI transbrake. The band was a Factory stock "seasoned". The trans gave up after it was sprayed with a 200 shot of NOS after abunch of runs. 940 hp pretty good. 8.30's 160mph

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 02:41 PM

Check your fluid. PG's whine from the pumps but it shouldn't be overwhelming. If it gets louder when not in gear you may be low on fluid. If it takes longer to go into reverse than drive then the fluid is low. The part about it making more noise leaning on the park pin sounds worrisome though, as that may indicate a cracked housing or internal mount that allows something to rub with weight on it. You might even have a cracked flex plate.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 PM

My 65 powerglide whines. I've had people ask if the engine has a geardrive in it.Should be normal unless you can't hear the radio over it. When was the last fluid, filter changed?

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968 Caprice 396 View Post
If it takes longer to go into reverse than drive then the fluid is low.
It actually takes longer to go into Drive, & the dipstick shows full and clean, but this thing has sit for about 10-18 years. I bought a filter just havent put it in yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968 Caprice 396 View Post
The part about it making more noise leaning on the park pin sounds worrisome though, as that may indicate a cracked housing or internal mount that allows something to rub with weight on it. You might even have a cracked flex plate.
This is what makes me think of somthing worse...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page