Ford 9 inch conversion question - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Ford 9 inch conversion question

I recently got a ford 9 housing and bought a 4.11 31 spline posi gear for my 94 impala I put it on the car but seems like my drive shaft is smaller than the U joins (yoke) does this mean I have to buy a different drive shaft? Or is this gear box with yoke not compatible with my car?

I bought this gear box

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=0&cspheader=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 08:41 PM

THE yoke provided for the cast iron case is for a U-Joint Series 1310. Very common 1-1/16 th inch in diameter. Your car has a metric G3 U-joint and you will need a custom U-joint with one side of the cross a Spicer 1310 that used a snap ring to hold it in place, and the other side for a G3 metric held in p-lqace by a plastic seal.

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
THE yoke provided for the cast iron case is for a U-Joint Series 1310. Very common 1-1/16 th inch in diameter. Your car has a metric G3 U-joint and you will need a custom U-joint with one side of the cross a Spicer 1310 that used a snap ring to hold it in place, and the other side for a G3 metric held in p-lqace by a plastic seal.

Big Dave
Do I just get something like this and replace the one I have on the car right now?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spicer-5-13...sAAOSwHwNbeOEh

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:53 PM

Tony, the 30 spline 8.5 in your 94 is about the same strength as the 9 inch. I suggest keeping it. Unless you are at the drag strip every weekend, on 10.5 slicks, with a trans brake, and over 500hp. Plenty of the SS guys run big power through the 8.5 with no issues.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
Tony, the 30 spline 8.5 in your 94 is about the same strength as the 9 inch. I suggest keeping it. Unless you are at the drag strip every weekend, on 10.5 slicks, with a trans brake, and over 500hp. Plenty of the SS guys run big power through the 8.5 with no issues.
I already committed to the ford 9in
31 spline it’s already in my car! Haha I thougut it was a direct swap but the yolks are different the current yolk on the drive shaft is smaller than the one on the axle
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post

Big Dave
Hey do you know where I can get this custom g3 X spicer 1310?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Dinh View Post
Hey do you know where I can get this custom g3 X spicer 1310?
My error it is called a 3R not a G3 universal. The part you need can be found here.

https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/c14...556_insid.html

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page