anybody have gears for a stock impala 10 bolt? - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

anybody have gears for a stock impala 10 bolt?

i would like 373 or 355 gears.
i have a 1963 4 door hardtop and want to put in a 200r4.
this would be the right gears correct?
thanks
phillip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 04:51 PM

You need to be aware that your 8.2 inch ring gear ten bolt rear end is the older style Hotchkiss drop out pumpkin style that uses a diferent gear set than those used in the the 1965 to 1972 8.2 inch ten bolt Salisbury style (has an inspection cover) or 1972 to date with the 8.5" corporate ten bolt rear end (also used on the front end of 4x4 trucks as well). Those would be excelent gears to use. With a 283 you could go even as high as a 4.11 gear.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:24 PM

On the topic of selecting the gears, I recently put in a 700r4 transmission in my 64. I have 3.55 rear gears and that seems to be working fine. I am told by some that 3.7? would be better. I am still trying to decide if I want to change the gears when I have the differential rebuilt. I really like the 2,200 rpm highway cruise that I am getting now (was 3,000 before with the old TH350). I do have a 383 engine, so it has no problem pushing along at 2,200 rpm.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 09:49 PM

With the longer stroke you have much higher piston speed than the short stroke 283. Just like in rubbing two sticks together to start a fire the level of wear increases with piston speed, so in your case a 3.31 gear might be in order.

Big Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice, where and what specificaly would i ask for when ordering gears?
i was hoping someone would have some extra ones lying around
also is there a direct fit rear end from another car that would work in the 10 bolt world? i am not building a racer by any means just a cruiser
thanks in advance
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 07:10 AM

You can purchase another rear end out of another full size car but when they changed the rear end to make them stronger they changed the brackets that mount the rear end. So you will have to carefully grind off your old brackets and reweld them onto your car.

The factory not only changed how the rear end bolted into the car they offered two different rear ends. They continued to offer a ten bolt 8.2 inch ring gear for those cars equipped with six cylinders and small V-8's under 300 horse power, and a bigger 8-7/8th inch diameter ring gear 12 bolt for cars with a 348-409 (396) and hot 327's. When they switched over to the Salisusbury rear end they lost the ability to have a single differential carrier fit all of the gear sets they offered (as the gear ratio changes from a low number such as a 2.56:1 to the highest 6.13:1 the pinion gets smaller in diameter as it looses teeth and the ring gear gets thicker as it gains teeth). Your Hotchkiss style differential is able to slide back and forth inside the differential case using two spanner nuts to center the ring gear on the pinion. The new Salisbury rear ends made by the Spicer division of Dana-Spicer uses three different differentials that fit inside the rear end. Each differential has a flange to mount a ring gear sub set of the full range of possible gear ratios so it narrows your gear choice.

The factory used mostly a three series gear in most cars (3.07:1 being the most frequently used) but offered a two series of gears in six cylinder cars for those interested in economy (because a six often has more than a similar sized V-8). But for trucks and cars that tow trailers they offered a four series of gears favored by performance enthusiasts. So you have to determine the gear in the case before you buy the rear end based upon the gear you want and be happy with that range limitation.

Finally in 1972 the factory only made one Salisbury rear end offered on all cars and light trucks (the corporate rear end) that has an 8.5 inch ring gear. It comes in two flavors a two series rear which is most common in older cars and a three series carrier that is found behind most cars with an overdrive rea end to improver performance without harming mileage. You will most likely find an 8.5 rear end under cars in the salvage yard now.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page