Upper driver side control arm removal - '64 - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Upper driver side control arm removal - '64

I'm trying to remove the upper control arm on the drivers side bubut the bolts are in too tight so I can't get it off the frame. It could slide off but runs into the heads and steering column. Have been soaking the bolts to try and loosen but don't think that's going to help them after 50 years of originality. If I remove (drop) the steering column I might get enough room. Question is - before I rip into the steering column - can I just remove the bolts at the top of this picture and maneuver it down?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1398321509.666843.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	6074

I'm thinking that if I can detach it there and set it down below the control arm, then I can slide the control arm out. If I need to detach it in multiple places, what are the best spots for easy reassembly? I've never messed with the column before so am a little hesitant unless I know it can go back together.

Many thanks...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 07:43 AM

How hard would it be to remove the inner fenderwell? That would give you plenty of room to work.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 09:26 AM

Those bolts are press fit into the frame, don't try and remove them!

As mentioned, remove the inner fender well. Pay attention to the way things are sandwiched together in front (take pictures). I seem to recall you will need to remove (or at least loosen one end of) the steering shaft as well. You also have some headers that are taking up a lot of room, they may need to come off as well, but hopefully not.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Didn't think about the inner fender! I'll give that a shot as it has to come out anyways so I can get some badging on. If I were to undo the steering column would I just loosen the top part of the column and it will slide out or something?

Hoping to avoid mucking with the brand new headers but am prepared to do so as a last resort.

Good to know that I shouldn't mess with the bolts. Is it bad that 1 bolt did loosen on the passengers side? Took some wrenching but got the rear one out which let me get that control arm out...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page