Rear End Help For Disc Upgrade - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rear End Help For Disc Upgrade

Hello everybody.

I need help about my rear end. I've found casting on my rear end but I don't find the good information.
Iv'e a 10 bolt, 8.2". (66 Impala)
I want to upgrade rear brakes by disc with Wilwood.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...xleFlange.aspx

Someone have an idea please?

'66 Impala

Last edited by Charly; 04-28-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 11:31 AM

Piece of cake! All you need to do is throw money at the problem.

GM axles all use the same bolt pattern on the axle ends that allow you to bolt on any brake off any model of vehicle from any year so if you wanted to use late model Cadillac or Impala SS rear disc brakes hey would bolt on, same for the disc brakes off of the Firebird or the Camaro.

Wilwood built brakes for NASCAR starting originally with Girling calipers (just like Chevy did because they where the brakes commonly found surplus on WWII bomber and fighter aircraft). He then started casting his own calipers and disc rotors and machining them to his own specifications; which means that they will not interchange with anything else besides another Wilwood product, and there is no guarantee that it will interchange even then.

Wilwood sells brakes based upon the number of pistons and the thickness of the rotor. More pistons in the caliper yields a more even distribution of the clamping force for smoother stopping with less wear (an important consideration when brake pads frequently do not last an entire race). The thicker and larger the diameter of the rotor the greater the heat sink, and as such the less chance the brakes will fade. Down side of this is by increasing the unsprung weight it makes it harder to keep the tire patch flat on the pavement. This is why carbon fiber is replacing cast iron as a rotor material in racing, though there is a considerable difference in material price that prohibits there use on the street except in a very expensive sports car.

One final consideration (well two really)is that the brake assembly has to fit inside the wheel, and the front brakes must account for at least sixty percent of the car's stopping ability. So if you go huge by large on the rear brakes the front brakes must be even larger (and thus more expensive).

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wouuuaaa.

I try to understand everything. I retain:

-Same bolt patern on many models ( but tubing diameters are different?)
-Wilwood is not a competitive article?
-I want to install 12.19" front (15x8 Corvette RW AZ code), so I must install 10" rotors rear? Or the proportioning valve can help to the repartition?

It's not too easy to buy parts finaly...

'66 Impala

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 04:25 PM

Wilwood is very competitive.

You do not HAVE TO buy any size brake, you may be able to get them to fit, but I do not know as I have not tried them.

A proportioning valve is only used with a disc-drum brake system because the disc brakes do not work as well as drum brakes do. Drum brakes are self activating and as such must be slowed down to prevent them from trying to apply too soon. That is what a proportioning valve does, slow down the application of the brakes.

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Very interesting Big Dave, thanks.
So for a 4 disc system, there is just a repartitor, no proportioning valve.

Can You tell me if my project is correct and safe?

http://www.summitracing.com/dom/part...431c/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/dom/part...94-d/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/dom/part...22-d/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/dom/part...69-p/overview/

'66 Impala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page