Am I crazy? - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Am I crazy?

I have a 1970 Kingswood wagon that had been sitting for a while when I bought it. I decided to go through the brake as the master cylinder seemed to be leaking onto the booster. Replace the booster (bench Bled) and master cylinder and things were not better as far as braking.

So I have now replaced the prop valve with a new style ('71 and up) from CPP, rebuilt the 2 front calipers and redone all of the hard lines and flex tubing in front.

I have not really seen a change in the braking in all of the updated at all!!!!!!!!!

When bleeding the last time I noticed a 2" spurt of brake fluid up from the front master into the reservoir and back into the reservoir.

Do I have a bad master, air in the system or what? Help!!!

By the way I have successfully installed several master cylinders in the past with no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 07:25 PM

My guess is that it has air in the system.

Since I used to work mostly alone, with paid employees being more trouble than they were worth; I used a lot of tools that allowed me to do things like bleed the brakes by myself without any problems. I used a commercial version (about $350) of a plastic version sold to consumers for less than half that price. The basic difference is I have a stainless steel tank and I can charge it with compressed air, and the home shop version uses a plastic tank with a hand operated air pump.

http://www.motiveproducts.com/

You can buy them at most mail order speed shops as well as Amazon and other mail order outlets. The Service tool trucks sell the same thing rebranded as Matco or Snap On (where I got mine because I bought it before they invented the internet).

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Big Dave,

Any idea what the 1.5" squirt in the master cylinder is all about?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:58 AM

Brake pedal being drawn back to the up position by the big set of springs under the dash causes the fluid in the lines to return to the reservoir in the master cylinder. If the piston inside the master cylinder pumped out fluid, and it never returned, you would need a fifty five gallon drum of brake fluid to drive around town for any length of time.

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update

I just wanted to update all of you on the progress of all of this.

The NEW imported? master cylinder from a local auto parts store was bad.

Ordered a new corvette style one from CPP and all all is as it should be. easy to bleed and stopping like disc assist brakes should be.

Just goes to show you, you get what you pay for huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page