Coil spring alignment '64 - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Coil spring alignment '64

I'm installing the coils as part of a complete suspension refresh and front disc brake conversion and while the top of the coil seems to be in place, the bottom is not at the end of it's seat. Is this going to be an issue? I'm also not sure if I'll have the clearance to get the spring compressor out but that's another matter, ha! The springs are stock moog 658a. Thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1399832312.057584.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	6337

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 04:34 PM

Bottom of the spring has to sit in the spring pocket of the lower control arm:

Big Dave
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

I got it to align by lowering and adjusting but like I said removing the spring compressor is another matter. Oi vey. It's like a catch 22. If I put the compressor in coils closer to the middle of the spring they don't compress enough - too far towards the ends and I can't remove the tool once unloaded. Back to the drawing board.

Also for when I do get it redone I noticed this gap between the spindle and upper ball joint. Is that going to settle and I just keep cranking down the castle nut to adjust it once everything is put back together? Lower ball joint has no such gap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1399843576.642943.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	6345

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 07:00 PM

There should be no gap. Either that spindle has the wrong size tapered hole (which is reamed at seven degrees), or your ball joint is off a pick-up truck as it has a super sized stud coming out of the ball joint (you, pick).

I'm guessing you have a brand new aftermarket dropped spindle. If so I would be showing the guy that sold you that part your gapping photograph and ask him what is going on.

Speedway sells reams to open car spindles up to accept pick-up truck ball joints (which are bigger and stronger for racing). But before I got creative I would find out what is supposed to be there.

Big Dave
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

I do have new spindles but definitely the right parts for both as I bought application specific sssb spindles and 58-64 b body ball joints from ecklers in a front end kit as I recall (been a while). Are you sure they won't settle? I can get the cotter pin in no problem so the castle nuts seem right and the bottom ball joints a good fit to the spindle. Got both springs in and I'm still alive - hate dealing with coils. Thanks for the help!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 09:25 PM

Sure you put those ball joints on right? The bolts holding the ball joint in place should not be holding the tension of the spring. They should just be keeping it in place.

This is what mine looked like:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

May have just been a little over cautious as if think I've got it sorted. It doesn't look like a gap so much as the ball joint boot is hiked up from sitting down on the frame. It should sort when I put the upper bump stop in. Got both springs and rotors on... Seems to have come together nicely. Used the same compression tool you recommended in another thread - borrowed from autozone.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:12 AM

I hate to say it, but I am pretty sure you put your upper ball joints on the wrong side of the control arm. Be absolutely sure you got that right, as if you are wrong, you could be going down the road and have the ball joint separate from the control arm, allowing the spindle to flap all over the place, probably with bad results if going very fast.

Look at the picture I posted above, the ball joint sits on top of the control arm. No way it will pull through the hole, the three bolts just keep it from moving around and should the bolts fail, the ball joint just wiggles around in the hole in the control arm. On your picture, the three bolts are supporting the spring and suspension stresses and if the bolts failed, the ball joint would completely separate from the upper control arm!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

I went back and looked at the pre upgrade pics and definitely put them on the way they came out (had to get the rivets out and droll the bolt holes bigger. Here's a pic from the back looking forward... Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1399944586.889684.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	6449 Does anything look funky to you?

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Oh I see what you mean now... The ball joint points down but goes through the hole for support. Doh! We'll maybe I can fix that with a jack and not have to remove the spring. Always something.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

That should look a little better... Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1399949084.713978.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	6457

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 10:51 PM

Glad you could get that sorted without taking the springs back out

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Me too and nice catch. You undoubtedly saved me a lot of hassle down the line! Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page