Help! removing bags going back to stock - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Help! removing bags going back to stock

We purchased our 70 4-Dr with what I believe is known as Stage I Ridetech air bag system. Basically bag system and shocks only. We want to go back to coil springs and shocks and have the stance just a little higher than stock. Any idea on the best springs (on a budget) and what else is needed? Also what about spring spacers (pro/con) Thinking about using the shocks that came with ride tech and selling the rest of the set up. Also any special tools or processes for installing the coil springs especially since I do not have the old ones installed to refer to on re install. Anyone interested in the bag system it is about 1 1/2 yrs old less than 1500 miles on the system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 12:02 PM

Basically, you need to find what was removed and or modified . You need 4 new springs, but they will be to tall for your likeing. You will also need 2 rear spring retainers for the lower arms.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 03:16 PM

If you have air bags now I suspect you have very few if any of the stock parts that you will need to find to replace what was thrown away when they converted over to the RideTech system. The RideTeck control arms have large flat pans and locate the shocks in a different location than the stock shock within a coil spring system.

My advise is to try and find some one with a 1968-'70 Impala (makes no difference if a two door four dour sedan or hard top or convertible or wagon). Suspension arms are all the same under the 1968-'70 models (the 1965-'67 differ in the length of the rear top control arm. Once you find another owner within driving distance of your home, you can swap their suspension parts for the RideTech system.

Once you have a stock suspension system you can replace the stock springs with new ones (as springs sag with age). That should raise the car back up to the stock ride height. If you need to go higher they make springs with more free height to raise the car.

What you are attempting to do is a major undertaking. Aside from pulling the motor and tranny (something I could do by myself in three hours or less when younger) you are doing a frame off restoration with the exception of pulling the body off the frame to change out your worn out body bushings if they are rotted out.

Big Dave

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrrtl View Post
We purchased our 70 4-Dr with what I believe is known as Stage I Ridetech air bag system. Basically bag system and shocks only. We want to go back to coil springs and shocks and have the stance just a little higher than stock. Any idea on the best springs (on a budget) and what else is needed? Also what about spring spacers (pro/con) Thinking about using the shocks that came with ride tech and selling the rest of the set up. Also any special tools or processes for installing the coil springs especially since I do not have the old ones installed to refer to on re install. Anyone interested in the bag system it is about 1 1/2 yrs old less than 1500 miles on the system.
I'm interested in the airbag setup and have everything you will need to convert back to stock. Pm me on the fine details but I'm from green bay will and will travel to exchange. I will throw cash your way also

1969 Caprice 327 TH350 - restomod project
2003 Impala 9c1 - stuff done
1964 Chevelle Malibu SS - mild resto
1976 XJ12 - stock v12/bagged
1998 Trans Am - lots done
1999 GTP - lots done
1999 GSE - T66 T3/T04e hybrid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page