64 Impala Front Disks/Drop Spindles - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

64 Impala Front Disks/Drop Spindles

So iv bought a Scarebird brake kit so i can run factory 14s on my 64 Impala.
These use factory drum spindles etc.

What i want to do however is run a drop spindle.
Does anyone know if the scarebird kit will bolt up to any drop spindles?

If they dont then ill need to change my brakes to suit, however if I want to run 14s from what iv found iv got limited/no options to still run 14" rims.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 07:21 AM

2157514 tires are as big as you can get in 14's. If you go to 15 inch you can get bigger tires that are closer to original sized 14's or larger.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRWEST View Post
So iv bought a Scarebird brake kit so i can run factory 14s on my 64 Impala.
These use factory drum spindles etc.

What i want to do however is run a drop spindle.
Does anyone know if the scarebird kit will bolt up to any drop spindles?

If they dont then ill need to change my brakes to suit, however if I want to run 14s from what iv found iv got limited/no options to still run 14" rims.

Cheers
I am unfamiliar with that brands kit so I can not answer the question. Have you asked the manufacture if they offer a dropped spindle?

Big Dave

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...product_id=105

Thats the kit there FYI
I have emailed them to ask if any drop spindles that would suit their brackets but havent heard back yet

I dont want to run 15s, if my kit wont work are you aware of any kits that will fit 14s and and not mess with the offset of the hubs?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 07:36 PM

Most disc brakes move the wheel mounting surface out at least a quarter inch, some are offset even more. There are a few that use a special steering knuckle that actually compensates for the offset to keep the front wheel trac the factory original in width. They are the exception not the norm and use a custom steering knuckle casting and wheel spindle.

Big Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Have found a couple of options.

Scarebird say the Fatman spindle fits although their website doesnt show one for a 64.
But have emailed them to ask.

Also classic stock the below, which should fit the brake set up i have from what i read.
http://www.classicindustries.com/196...ts/bs7001.html
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRWEST View Post
Have found a couple of options.

Scarebird say the Fatman spindle fits although their website doesnt show one for a 64.
But have emailed them to ask.

Also classic stock the below, which should fit the brake set up i have from what i read.
http://www.classicindustries.com/196...ts/bs7001.html
This is because Chevrolet makes as many parts fit as many applications as possible.

The bigger 12 inch disc brakes off of a 1978-'90 station wagon or cop car are used on a 1967-'69 Camaro or 1968-'74 Nova to obtain correction of the steering geometry and of course a bigger disc brakes. But only by replacing the stock ball joints with the bigger Impala part because they will not fit if you use the Camaro/Nova part. That process of having to change the ball joints keeps it from being listed as an interchange part.

A lot of heavier Chevy parts can be similarly modified in some way to make it fit a different application. That is what the Chevrolet engineers did to create a new car, by going to the existing parts bin and modifying previous parts to fit if they have to be modified at all. There is one part that didn't change part numbers or was modified in any way from it's introduction in 1955 until it was discontinued in 2005 (a half century). That part is the water pump gasket, but I am sure there are others.

I think it is the ability to interchange that allowed the aftermarket to bring to market all of the SBC parts that made it the dominant motor of the auto sport industry. Mopar had better small block and in the case of the Hemi big block heads, and Ford made a few motors that cranked out more power per cube than Chevy, but all have been forgotten over the length of time that the SBC has been produced and for the continuing aftermarket support.

I just have to caution you to start hoarding 350- SBC motors as they are shrinking in the inventories of junk yards as they have been out of production for over 15 years now. The SBC will soon be as easy to find as a flat head or Y-block ford or a 440 Mopar (once common as dirt, but now a treasure that cost as much as if made of gold because junk yards sell scrap metal; which is what these motors became when replaced by newer engine series).

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page