What was the last year for front mount calipers? - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

What was the last year for front mount calipers?

Hey all, when did they switch from front mount calipers to rear mount calipers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 08:39 PM

1969, I think. ??????
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Much appreciated sir.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 09:26 AM

For some weird reason I thing this was for the JL8 option ( 4 piston calipers) but the standard calipers were rear mount. Things got a little weird with early vs late 68 models.
I may be wrong or nuts or both but I thought I seen something to this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 07:09 PM

I think 70 would be the last year as everything changed in 71.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 10:15 AM

As I understand it 1968 used Girling Corvette Brakes (the rear rotors withg a Corvette four piston Girling brake caliper. In 1969 GM introduced their own single piston full floating caliper (the Girling used a fixed bridge where only the pistons moved). Because the engineers where concerned about dragging down a heavy B-body at the new Interstate speeds that were just opening to public use in the late sixties Chevrolet hedged their bets and used a two year only dedicated single piston caliper just for the B-body (it was unique).

This special brake was used on 1969-'70 model years but was backward compatible to 1965. The 1968 Corvette style brakes can also be installed on all B-body cars from 1965-'70 if you can find the front wheel bearing hubs that are the only Impala part; because everything else is available from Corvette restoration vendors at Corvette prices.

In 1971 all GM cars and light trucks used the same disc brake caliper that was first offered on Chevelles, Camaros, and Nova cars in 1969. So all brake parts interchange with only the steering knuckle being unique to the car model.

Big Dave
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 07:41 PM

I am doing a 4piston conversion on my 65. the c3 corvette spindle is dimensionally the same as a 65 imp all the way to at least 79 thats what my spindles are from,except for the wheel bearing spindle diameter corvettes were larger. to convert to the 4 piston front brake you reuse the steering arms with a little modification everything else is corvette all the way out to the spindle nuts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 08:44 PM

Kevin the guys on this board would appreciate a full right up with photos and part numbers (applications are enough to find parts in a catalog or junk yard.) on your Corvette brake conversion. It is a popular topic.

Big Dave
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 04:12 PM

Garage
Yes Kevin that would be great, as I am about to do the conversion on my 67 and would really appreciate some more info.

Thanks
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 06:32 PM

i got my info from another impala forum and they have good pictures and parts list for front and rear with park brake. not sure how to insert a link but it is impalaforums.com it is listed as 1965 impala budget disc brake conversion he did his conversion on a b body pontiac but all the same under the skin hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page