Brake conversion suggestions? - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Brake conversion suggestions?

Hi folks. does anyone have any suggestions on brake conversion kits for a 64 impala? 14 inch rims on her if that matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 09:59 AM

Nine out of twenty vendors selling a disc brake conversion will not fit inside the fourteen inch wheel you have now. If you have to have a fourteen inch wheel to retain your wheel covers then you will have to buy the fourteen inch wheels off of a 1969 Camaro that had the new disc brakes offered with small wheels. Those wheels are offered as a reproduction part (the entire car is offered as a reproduction part).

Those wheels do not have the step built into the wheel that allows you to drop the tire bead into it to mount a tire. As a result your tires will be severely stressed and possibly ripped when mounting the tires (back then the tire mounter pulled the valve stem and installed a tube). That isn't an option as tubes in your size don't exist anymore.

I saw somewhere a reproduction wire wheel cover for a seventeen inch wheel that allowed you to buy modern rubber and have bigger disc brakes. I haven't seen it since so it could have been a one of custom part fabricated for a car by the owner.

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 11:23 AM

Your greatest selection of tires and wheels will be in the 17 inch range. This is because this is what the factory has selected for their fleets even though most specialty cars and trucks use 18-20 inch rims. You can even buy the classic Chevy Rally wheel with trim rings and choice of hub caps for a 17 inch wheel in 6, 7, 8, and 10 inch widths. All of the classic early sixty aluminum wheels are also released today in 17 inch rims in a wide selection of widths.

Big Dave

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Arrow size brakes

if that be the case, what size brakes do you recommend.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 01:31 PM

Size is 11 to 12 inch rotors which was the stock size up until the late nineties. As from whom you buy from you want to buy everything from one company top get everything to work together (properly sized hydraulic cylinders with all of the hardware having threaded parts that work with the parts you bought). CPP sells complete kits; as does SSBC, and many others that sell quality parts.

Price is a reflection of quality in brakes, and no one really wants the lowest quality brakes for obvious reasons.

Big Dave
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Arrow 22s?

can stock brakes handle 22 inch rims? if so whats best conversion kit or any other upgrades to the brakes i can do to make my ride comfortable?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 05:59 PM

I just bought a kit from Speedway.My 14" Torq Thrusters fit the 11" rotors.I got the rotors & calipers on,no problems as of yet.Tomorrow I'll put the booster & master cylinder on.All total I have $450 delivered to my door.Very happy so far,I'll let you know when I'm all done how it works.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 10:24 PM

I got the booster & master cylinder installed today.No problems,looks to be a lot like the CPP version.I even looked at some of their online pics for reference.The caliper bracket even had CPP instructions included with them.I'm going to replace some of the brake lines later this week.So far this looks to be a pretty good kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page