damaged Control Arms - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

damaged Control Arms

I bought a 68 Impala a couple weeks ago. Crawling around underneath and noticed that the drivers side shock is no longer attached to the control arm. The question I have after searching this site, do they make OEM control arms anyplace? I found some used ones on an auction site but they do not state Driver/Passenger are they interchangeable side to side?
The Tubular ones, is there a How to site on how to install them? I have mechanical knowledge and know about the spring tension and need to compress spring yada yada... But have never actually done it.

Who is the best to get OEM or Tubular style from? Does someone sell a package deal for Disc brakes and control arms...

Thanks

1968 Impala
4 door
283ci not original
TH350 Tranny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 08:01 AM

To my knowledge only Global West will have what you are looking for (complete front end kit); and that assumes they offer tubular control arms for the 1968 Impala. Global West specializes as being the go to company for really complete kits that sell Moog or Eaton parts. They sell brake kits and front end kits that replace everything that can be replaced (some things like the center link are reused) and include Polyurethane bushings to replace worn out rubber ones. Because they use quality parts (as many sourced from the USA as they can find) the kits are not cheap.

What is wrong with you A-arm that it can not be repaired with a welder?

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

The previous owner replaced most of the front end stuff with the urethane bushings and new parts. So I am not sure that I need the entire front end.
The driver Control arms: lower is a little bent and the shock is broken off. The top is bent a little more, look like one of the previous owners liked to park by rail or kept jumping curbs. Seen it when I had it up on a lift replacing the front tires. Those Firestone guys will let you look at what ever you want while it is on the lift if you have a classic car and they like it.

Thanks for the input

1968 Impala
4 door
283ci not original
TH350 Tranny

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 05:38 PM

try sundell auto i've dealt with them some strictly 62-87 gm partsyard generally if you need it they got it.http://sundellauto.com been by there on vacation but the mrs. didn't want to stop seem to have a large parts yard. kevin
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 07:23 PM

If you get used replacement parts I would box them in for added strength so that they do not bend again in the future. To box them in you simply weld flat steel plate that is an eighth of an inch thick to the open area to keep the sides from deflecting. Be sure to leave open the area around the shock mount or ball joint or anything else that bolts to the A-arm so as not to make maintenance difficult.

Once boxed they are as strong and as light as the tubular arms but because they are bigger (larger cross section) they will be stronger to prevent any further bent parts.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page