Different Spindles? - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Cool Different Spindles?

Hello,

Firstly My son owns a 1967 Impala SS Coupe.
Some time ago we replaced all the suspension bushes, shocks, pads and rebuilt the callipers on the front of the car.
It came with what I think is Factory fitted disc brakes.

My problem is :
When replacing the wheel bearings we found out the spindles were two different sizes, i.e. the bearings were not the same replacement size.

Now, we are looking at replacing the original disc brakes with a wilwood set as the callipers are in need of re sleeving and it is way too expensive in Australia to do, and the callipers are "Delco Moraine" and not "Girling" as suggested in other forums.

My question is does he have a disc spindle one side and a drum one on the other or are they from two different cars all together? (Chevelle?)

To eliminate this would be to just fit one that matches one already on the car and replace it, right? the thing is they are about as common as "Rocking Horse Manure" in Australia if you get my drift.......

What would be the best after market spindles to fit with Wilwood brakes, are looking at kit number 140-12021 recommended for drum brake replacement and he has 15" rally wheels already on the car.

Any help / advise would be greatly appreciated.

Many thank in advance,

Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 09:57 AM

Welcome to the Team Chris!

Girling made the brake calipers, not the spindles. The spindles which are more correctly defined as steering knuckles could have been replaced at some time with another steering knuckle if a bad wheel bearing went bad a blued the spindle from the excess heat of the bad bearing. Replacement parts were sold at your local Chevrolet service department from 1968-'75 allowing any one to buy a complete disc brake upgrade out of service parts.

The Girling four puck fixed bridge style brake that had been used on the Corvette since 1965 and was first put on the B-body cars (Impala) in 1968. Because the 1965-'70 B-bodies were basically all the same they could have been retro-fitted at some time before you bought it.

The disc brake caliper, and more importantly the wheel hub that is not reproduced and is much sought after, are unique to the disc brake car. If you can find the wheel hub you can mount the rear caliper and rotor off of a 1967 Corvette on a drum brake car by modifying the drum brake spindle. You have to cut off an ear and grind the necessary clearance using the pattern to modify the steering knuckle found on the web.

The other cars in Chevrolet's stable didn't get disc brakes. Though the 1967-'68 Camaro had the Corvette four puck brakes offered as an obscure option to make the car into a factory built road racer. It was a not a commonly installed option, though when Chevy offered all cars disc brakes as an option starting in 1969 using the single piston full floating caliper, more people bought them.

Wilwood and Baer offer complete big brake kits (13-15 inch brake rotors) with everything you need (including a forged steel steering knuckle). Those kits require 17 inch or larger wheels to clear the larger diameter rotors that move the calipers closer to the inside of the wheel. You also have to watch the clearance on the face of the wheel as the spokes of some wheels will hit the caliper. If you want the standard 11 inch rotor you can use the wheels off of a 1969-'72 Chevelle or Camaro to mount a 14 inch wheel. The 12 inch rotors used on cop cars require a 15 inch wheel a matching vented heavy duty steel wheel used on cop cars.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Cool Girling?

Hey Big Dave,

Firstly many thanks for your reply.

Secondly, Isn't "Girling" a British company?
Why would you be putting British brakes on American cars?
The Callipers on the 67 have "Delco Moraine" cast on them with the casting numbers 5455946 and 5456008, will try and attach photos.

1967 Corvette, don't see too many of those over here, I've got a mate over here whose got two 69's will they do? I sure he won't miss them..............

The Wilwood option (four piston) is the way my son wants to go as the Baer brakes are way too expensive for his pocket but can I get away with using the spindles he has on the car now (two different ones) or is it better to change the spindles to new after market ones and if so what type would be best? He wants to keep the look it has now (15" rally wheels) and not go to bigger 17's or 18's.

Cheers,
Chris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	8385   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	8393   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	8401  

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 11:57 PM

Hi Chris.

Yes, those numbers appear to be correct for the original disc brakes on your 67. GM used the 4 piston calipers on 67 and 68 vehicles. They certainly seem to be a rare option, at least in our area of Canada.

Perhaps if you can post any other pictures and or any numbers you can find on the parts, some 67 experts here can help you figure out what you have.

I had a set of those long ago from a 68 but have no info (casting numbers etc) around for them any more.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 12:17 AM

In response Chris

Secondly, Isn't "Girling" a British company? Yes they are.

Why would you be putting British brakes on American cars? Because after WWII racers who were experiencing brake fade even at only 120 mph on road race tracks took the brakes off of surplus airplanes. Both the US and the British used Girling disc brakes on all of their planes. They were light and shed heat quickly. Current Corvettes use Italian made Brembro brakes and they used PBR brakes; anAustralian company if you can believe it before that.

The Callipers on the 67 have "Delco Moraine" cast on them with the casting numbers 5455946 and 5456008 Those are stock parts used on the B-body, F-body and the Corvette which wasn't called a Y-body back then. (the Y body was the Corvair that was changed to Z body so the Corvette could have it). All of these brake parts EXCEPT that bearing hub that rides on the spindle are reproduced and sold in Corvette restoration houses: as those Girling style brakes where used from 1965 up until 1982. There are companies that sell stainless steel sleeved calipers to replace the factory cast iron that will seize in the bore if it gets wet and you let it sit.

There are also companies that reproduce a brand new rally wheel with proportionately sized trim ring and center hub in 17 inch wheels just to clear a 13 inch 3rd or 4th gen Camaro disc brake using PBR calipers.

Big Dave
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Cool Hubba, Hubba

Hey guys,

Many thanks for the conversation and information.

Those hubs you talk of Big Dave were only used on the Corvette? As the disc on the 67 is a one piece hub/disc unit. I've been on a number of web sites this morning looking at Corvette brake systems of the era you suggest and the more I look the more I'm confused as the rear calliper units on a Corvette although not dissimilar there are little things that are different, i.e., brake hose fitment, bleed screw positioning slight difference in mounting bolt positioning, etc.
Whereas the front units look more of a match to the fitment on the 67.

I've attached more photos of the units fitted to the car, I'm sorry but I didn't take any photos of the unit disassembled when we had the chance especially the spindles, which leads me to my first question at the start of this post.

What spindles do I have on the car, disc or modified drum? As they are two different units hence the different sized bearings.

Cheers,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	8409   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	8417   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	8425   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	8433   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	8441  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
brake, brakes. disc, spindle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page