Scrapping Problem - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Scrapping Problem

Hello all I need your help. I had my mechanic drop my 66 Impala 2 by installing drop spindles on the front and he cut the rear springs which was a bad choice. Now the rear is not level, also with my 15" rims my headers are scrapping every time I hit a bump. I am planning on 17" rims. So my question is do I get new springs and front spindles or I would like to do is to put on a air ride system. What are you all's thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 07:06 PM

First up, new mechanic. Pretty simple solutions to your issues, new springs in front and back will get you back at the right height. Wheel size is irrelevant. You can have a shorter wheel and tire combo with 17s, or, the same, or, taller. Just do your homework on the tire sizing. Bag setup is expensive when properly done. Over $1000. Well over.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks and yes new mechanic I would like the air ride system if that would solve my problem.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 08:51 PM
BA.

Do you think the front springs are original or non-stock height? If so, I could see how that and the 2" drop spindles could make things a bit too low.

I looked at Air-Ride and some others for a little bit but for me, at the time, I couldn't justify the price. Yeah, well over $1000, most likely over $1500 just for basic non-leveling stuff.
Springs are a heckuva lot cheaper.

There is a slim chance that when the "mechanic" put the rear suspension back together that he tightened the control arm bolts without the weight on the tires.
This could cause it to be unlevel back there. Just something to consider.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 11:56 AM

Garage
I have Eaton 2" drop springs that are almost new, less than 500 miles on them. They ride like stock, very comfortable. They were for my 67 but I decided to go with air ride, I bought them about 3 months ago they are still like new. Eaton sells them for $500 with shipping and handling, I could make you a deal if you are interested.

by the way, a decent quality basic air bag kit, nothing fancy is around $2500 installed.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks Eddie I am nor sure what direction I am going I know air bag is not cheap but I still thinking going that way. I have read that air bags give a good ride. i believe my mechanic installed long tube headers and I have read that they will scrap if you lower you height. Since I have to fix the rear because my mechanic didn't cut the rear springs right the rear dose nor sit level.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67SS View Post
I have Eaton 2" drop springs ... like new. Eaton sells them for $500 with shipping and handling, I could make you a deal if you are interested.

by the way, a decent quality basic air bag kit, nothing fancy is around $2500 installed.
He is scraping now I don't think he wants to go lower.

I think others are recommending new springs to replace the sagging factory originals. New springs would raise the car front and rear returning it to stock ride height except for the two inch drop up front.

Big Dave
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 01:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cmorgan View Post
Thanks Eddie I am nor sure what direction I am going I know air bag is not cheap but I still thinking going that way. I have read that air bags give a good ride. i believe my mechanic installed long tube headers and I have read that they will scrap if you lower you height. Since I have to fix the rear because my mechanic didn't cut the rear springs right the rear dose nor sit level.
In my experience lowered cars and full length headers generally don't mix. Some manufacturers such as ARH ($$$$) design them better than others so they fit better and closer to the body.
I wouldn't waste money on a air bag kit if you don't want to lower the car.
If you do wanna lower ride you are gonna have to change those headers and consider some shorty or mid length headers, or manifolds.

My car should be done Monday I'll let you know how it rides.

Eddie
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 03:47 PM

There are companies like Schoenfeld that carer to guys that think turning left all night is a fun way to race. Their cars are low to the ground; and occasionally depending upon the class or car chassis, have the primary tubes that practically touch the frame and exit out the side as if you were going to run lake pipes. They at least offer a block hugging full length header.

http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/cratepage.htm

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 10-31-2014 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Gamar Prublems
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 06:28 AM

Well, do you want a great looking car, or a great driving car. Difficult to have both. Lowered cars don't usually drive great unless you spend money on a expensive system that raises itself for highway use. I would install new springs all around then cut one coil off the fronts and call it done.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks for all information guys, I think I found the problem for the header scraping. My mechanic installed long tube headers and from what I have read is that I need shorty headers. Now I just need to resolve the rear end. Apparently they did not cut the spring right and now it sits lower on the drivers side don't know what I should do buy new spring or what?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 07:59 PM

For what it's worth, I have a bagged 64, it rides like a dream. IF you have the bags set properly when driving, to much air, rides like juice, not enough, rides like a tank. Get it just right, a dream. I did it myself, and by no means am I a mechanic. If you have any skills, you can do airride yourself.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks Joe, what system did you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page