Shock absorber end - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Shock absorber end

Hi everyone. I'm just finishing up rebuilding the front end of my '62 Impala. Went to put on a new shock today and saw that it didn't come with any type of grommet/bushing for the end. I thought they all came with this?? The end looks like it was machined to accommodate something. If not, it will be metal against metal. Somehow, doesn't sound right. Checked both boxes/shocks and neither had anything but the nut for the top. I don't recall if the old had anything or not. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you, Carmine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 04:52 PM

It is supposed to have the rubber bushing and washer in the box.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
It is supposed to have the rubber bushing and washer in the box.

No, no such creature. Guess I'm going to call the manufacturer. Thank you for the response, Carmine.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 12:33 PM

Just save yourself the time, and stop by any parts place. You'll have the part you need quickly, for not very much money.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 01:26 PM

I used to have a small box of those rubber bushings that came off shocks when I replaced them with polyurethane Energy Suspension bushings (in red of course).

Unfortunately I found a great use for those rubber bushings. I use them to mount electric fuel pumps and the MSD ignition boxes since a set of MSD Ignition Vibration Mounts (part number 8823) costs me $15 for just four rubber bushings and a four machine screws. It was a no brainer. Otherwise I would mail you a set.

Big Dave
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Thank you anyway Big Dave. I appreciate your intent. I'm going to research this issue further, but believe it or not, I don't think they came with or were designed to have bushings. I looked at the shock itself from vendors and they only show a washer and nut. Other brands like KYB?? have the rubber bushings. These, no. I still find it hard to believe, but I emailed Monroe Shock for an answer. Will keep everyone posted. Thank you, Carmine.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 06:53 PM

Can you post a picture and a part number, please?

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 08:17 PM

Bayonet mounted shocks (the single threaded rod) have a steel washer rubber bushing and a washer again. Then you stick that through a hole in the car floor, or front end, and then stick another steel washer rubber bushing and another washer on top and thread on a nut. Using the flat stamped at the top of the rod to hold it with a 5/16th inch open end wrench you tighten the nut down until the rubber starts to squish out.

There is also a round hole in a rubber bushing that slides onto a steel shaft that is part of the car's suspension secured with a washer and a nut and the top is either a bayonet or a T top: which is another ring welded to the shock body filled with a rubber bushing and a flattened steel pipe that has two notches stamped into the ends to secure it with two 5/16-20 bolts.

I have replaced a lot of shocks in my time and never saw set of shocks shipped with out the rubber bushings except for a returned unit that was resold as almost new. I have also had the pleasure of buying gas shocks that were returned with the steel binding strap removed and had to wrestle them onto a car. (luckily back them I was able to press 420 and curl 380 so I was able to force them on, but it wasn't fun).

I would also warn you to wear safety glasses or better yet a face mask. A friend of mine didn't while putting on a set of shocks on a '59 Corvette he owned. Went to bed and woke up the next morning blind because he tried to rub the road salts and dirt out of his eyes that had fallen in the night before. I bought that Corvette dirt cheap because being blind he could no longer drive.

Big Dave
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

I'm extremely bad at pics. The shock is made by Monroe #5765 and made to fit the '62 Impala. Google that and you will see many pics. I've looked at several and none show a rubber bushing or cupped washer.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 10:17 AM

According to Monroe's 2014 catalog you need a P2 Adapter kit to install your shocks. You can buy them at Summit Racing:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mo...FZBi7AodpFAALA

This reminds me of a problem I had with my old pal and neighbor Don "Big Daddy" Garits. He had founded the first speed shop in Tampa (there was a bigger and better one in Clearwater but it was 37 miles further from my house than I already had to drive to visit Don on the wrong side of Tampa). He used to open every product that he sold and remove the decals from inside the package and sell them separately to any one who wanted a contingency decal to put on his Ford Pinto or Datsun pick-up.

When I challenged him on this practice he pointed out that he owned the product first as he had to buy them from the vendor. So in his mind the decal belonged to him. I thought he was wrong and hated to have to buy from him or use him as my machine shop (Jon Zorian was his machinist at the time and was the only high performance machine shop in the area). To make matters worse He employed me though he often forgot to pay me to clean parts and tear down motors at his home shop offering me a chance to be the first to buy his used parts (I still have an intake valve out of one of his Hemi motors on my desk as I write this because despite his assurance they wouldn't fit in a BBC).

As you can see I was emotionally scared by my association with "Big Daddy" and I foresee a lot of upset customers buying their shocks from other vendors in the future if Monroe continues this policy of forcing you to buy at a higher price what is given away with the purchase of a product by every one else.

Big Dave
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

This morning, I spoke with a tech. guy at Monroe Shock. Told him of my question and inquiry. He stated that the shock has been redesigned and no longer comes with separate rubber bushings or washer. Instead, part way down the shaft, there is a steel sleeve attached that encapsulates a rubber bushing. You install the shock as presented with a nut and washer on top. Well, there certainly is a steel sleeve containing the rubber bushingr, problem is, its recessed in this sleeve/cup about 1/32-1/64 of an inch. Not sure how this would help or come in contact with anything. The top of this sleeve/cup would still be metal against metal. I still think something is lacking, but will install as directed.

I looked at those parts from Summit. I would never have enough room on the shaft to install them. When the shock is installed through the top hole, there is about 1" or so of threaded rod left for the nut and washer. If I was to use one of those rubber bushings below the hole, on the underside, I don't think I would have enough threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page