Backing Plates (67 Impala) - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Backing Plates (67 Impala)

Hey gang,

I'm now getting into the repair/rebuild of my front and rear brakes. Remaining with drums style not going to disc. My question is, I have to replace the backing plates on the front spindles and when I find replacements, they all seem to be for the rears (those are going to be replaced too).

Are these able to work for front as well as rear is my question. Appreciate it greatly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:36 AM

No, Fronts are different. I have some available from some '65 to '68's that should be the same if you can't find any locally.

Bill
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 09:31 AM

Dorman made your backing plate originally, but they no longer stamp out the two different front passenger's side and driver's side backing plates. No one makes it as a reproduction part apparently which leaves you looking for parts on flea-Bay.

As with any flea market item Caveot Emptor "let the buyer beware". Apparently the Roman's had flea markets, as that Latin expression comes from Roman times. What you need to be aware of is the year (1965-'70 should interchange) and the model (there are more light trucks, Chevelles and Chevy II cars backing plates on the market than parts for the B-body) and the side as they are not interchangeable.

I don't have a Hollander manual that covers your car (I have an abbreviated manual but it doesn't include backing plates just wheel cylinders and drums so beware in buying the compact edition as it is very abridged more so than Reader's Digest). Obtaining the Hollander number will assist you in finding the correct part in a salvage yard or on line.

Big Dave

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 03:03 PM

I've got 4 Hollander Interchange Manuals and none of them go into detailed parts like a Backing Plate.

I've never heard of a "non-abbreviated" Hollander. If they ever made one, I'd sure like to buy it !!

Book-wise, the best way is by a Chevrolet Parts Manual, but they are very time-consuming, sometimes unclear and can be a little complicated to use. They also have Parts Manuals online now, but they are the same format as the books. In my opinion, '65 to '68 Full Size Chevys should be the same as previously mentioned.

Bill
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 04:15 PM

Here is a link to the two books that I am talking about:

https://hollanderinterchange.net/cat...261e9e1aac1bf0

https://hollanderinterchange.net/cat...261e9e1aac1bf0

I also have two of the "real" Hollander interchange manuals (51st edition and the 55th) that is five inches thick and weights about 12.1 pounds.

I bought the 1954-'66 Classic car edition just to get rid of imports and trucks and vans, as the big one is cumbersome and it can take a while to find what you are looking for.

Big Dave
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 09:36 PM

Dave,

The first one looks a lot like the one I bought about 15 years ago, although mine is Blue and is a reprint of the 32nd. It is basically '54 to '66 as well.

My 3 others are originals and are the 27th, 38th and 47th. It took me a while to find nice ones at a good deal and spaced out so I got just about everything covered from 1950 to '82.

But it will be worth a phone call to contact Hollander to see if that new issue has more in detail than the originals do.

Once I find out, I will let y'all know.

Thanks

Bill
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 06:49 AM

I also have a pair of 67 front backing plates avalable if that helps.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Appreciate the help from everyone. Got a hold of a set of fronts through a friend of mine. They look a lot better than the pair I pulled off my car.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 09:48 AM

By the way to improve the stopping power of drum brakes you increase the area of the brake shoes (going bigger in diameter if possible and in width. The Chevelle and Camaro used a nine inch drum. So in the back of car mags they sell an eleven inch drum off of a big B-body car it enhance rear braking capability (even though 60% of all brake effort is on the front axle due to weight transfer on stopping.

In your case you can look at the possibility of bigger brakes off of a Super Duty Pontiac., or an late fifties Buick They were not only bigger (wider ) but cast out of an aluminum drum with a steel liner that probably has to be replaced (I don't know if that is even possible).

They were the "cats meow" when beatnicks were building lead sleds from the fifties as custom cars of the sixties. I also see them on Rat Rods frequently so they may be in reproduction. In addition to them being worn out (the steel liner being worn too far to turn again) they had a unique eight lug wheel ala NASCAR racing of that time frame. So the face of the drum would have to me machined as well as converting it to a five lug bolt pattern. It is for this reason that I suspect they are being reproduced as a five lug knock off of the 1961-'63 race cars fielded by Pontiac back in the days of "race on Sunday, sell on Monday". Today they sell on flea bay for about $300 a pair when they come up.

Here is the front side of the Pontiac Super Duty drum:

And here you can see the extra width allowing the finned drums to stick out into the air flow to cool on roadster (these may be Buick drums or even a set of fake drums that contain a disc brake which are made for Rat Rods) .

Here is a set for sale currently on flea-bay.

Big Dave
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Glad the holidays are over so I can get back to this. Replaced the backing plates but the original bolts are stripped and damaged. Having to find those now before I can put it all back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1967, backing plate, brake, impala

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page