what car I can take Disc brakes from, for my 67 - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

what car I can take Disc brakes from, for my 67

Does anyone know what car in the scrapyard I can snatch disc brake set up from to install on my 1967 SS ? I was talking about for fronts but if you have the answer for backs too I would be grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 01:59 PM

You are going to need to find a C3 Corvette (preferably a 1970) and remove the entire steering knuckle, rotor, caliper and 15x8 inch rally wheel with trim ring and hat. You will also need the master cylinder, the vacuum booster if it has power assist brakes, and the actuator rod (the rod that pushes on the back of the master cylinder piston that is connected to the brake pedal). Additionally you will need an adjustable proportioning valve, new stainless brake lines and a tubing bender to form them.

The C3 brake calipers need to have stainless steel sleeves pressed into them and a new O-ring to rebuild them. Without the SS sleeves the calipers have to be rebuilt once a year due to water getting into the cylinder and sieving the aluminum brake piston to the cast iron caliper.

You can buy all of these parts from a Corvette restoration house, including the sleeved calipers and turn what you have in as a core.

Big Dave
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 09:41 AM

Just to add a little extra, Front Disc Brakes can also be used from other '67 to '70 Full Size Chevy cars (Impala, Caprice, Bel-Air, Biscayne). Although the '67 and '68 are Dual Piston Caliper set-ups, and are not that desirable to use. The best ones are the Single Piston set-ups found on '69 and '70's, although not all '69 and '70's had Disc Brakes.

They are pretty hard to find and whenever I get in a set, they sure sell pretty quick.

An additional note though, when using these parts, you will also need to switch to 15 Inch Wheels.

Bill

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62BillT View Post
Just to add a little extra, Front Disc Brakes can also be used from other '67 to '70 Full Size Chevy cars (Impala, Caprice, Bel-Air, Biscayne). Although the '67 and '68 are Dual Piston Caliper set-ups, and are not that desirable to use. The best ones are the Single Piston set-ups found on '69 and '70's, although not all '69 and '70's had Disc Brakes.

They are pretty hard to find and whenever I get in a set, they sure sell pretty quick.

An additional note though, when using these parts, you will also need to switch to 15 Inch Wheels.

Bill

The dual piston brakes are actually four piston (two on a side) fixed bridge Girling fixed bridge design calipers off of a WWII British bomber adapted to cars after the war by hot rodders. The factory engineers copied the tried and tested brakes used by the previous WWII generation of hot rodders in road racing. This included several engineers who where working at Chevrolet at the time: not the least well known being Zorra Arkus-Duntov who single handedly took the Corvette from an oddity about to be canceled into the best selling sports car in the world. The Girling disc brakes where first put on a production Corvette in 1963 to create a sports car that could be driven to the track raced all day and driven home again.

The Chevrolet made four piston fixed bridge caliper disc brakes you want are used on the 1968-'81 C3 Corvette; as Chevy went to the production parts bin for parts to use on the Impala back in 1967. If you want these Corvette style four piston brakes also consider the more expensive big cars (Cadillac Seville or Brogham, or the Buick Electra 225) as they were more likely to have these expensive options installed on the car than the cheap entry level Chevrolet. In 1969 and '70 Chevy used a special (only appeared on these two year cars and only on B-models) single caliper full floating disc brake to cut costs. The engineers were not sure if the smaller caliper used on the Chevelle (and all GM A-body cars), Camaro and the Pontiac Firebird (F-body cars), and Nova (and all GM X-body cars from 1968-'74) used could stop the heavier B-body cars safely (Impala, Delta 88, Parisian or Catalina, Electra 225, Seville). So for two years the Impala had it's own rare optioned disc brakes.

All factory original disc brakes for an Impala (or all of the B, C and D-bodied cars that are based upon the same design) used a 15 inch wheel (available from Kelsey-Hayes). The lighter A, F, and X bodied cars that were equipped with the expensive disc brake option used a special flat bottomed steel wheel designed to clear the smaller disc brake caliper used on these cars. That wheel is remanufactured and can be purchased new in a steel wheel or the Rally wheel. All 15 inch rally wheels made will clear any factory made disc brake with an 11 inch rotor. These smaller 14 steel wheels designed for the lighter cars can bolt on to your heavier Impala if you have to have disc brakes and your favorite wheel cover, but you loose the safety factor designed into the wheel.

Big Dave
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

thanks again guys. The calibers I can just buy new . Maybe caddy easy to find (snatch em off the wifes ) LMAO! Forgot to tell you i do have power brakes to begin with although they weren't working to well when I got it fired up Sunday . Especially scary with seat not bolted down.And no mirrors to boot . I was only moving from Back of house to front .
N.J DMV are definately idiots. Trying to title this car what a pain in the ***. Notorize this and that pictures of vin seems like they keep saying that's all you need then there looking for something else
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 12:29 PM

Garage
By the time you are done collecting the parts needed, you might be better off with a kit like CPP or similar.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 08:45 PM

If you want to keep your 14" wheels your better off buying a kit with smaller rotors. If you don't mind 15" wheels, Go for the larger Corvette or 69-70 Impala disc brakes. I run 69 disc on my 65.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
If you want to keep your 14" wheels your better off buying a kit with smaller rotors. If you don't mind 15" wheels, Go for the larger Corvette or 69-70 Impala disc brakes. I run 69 disc on my 65.
I am putting 15" rallys but im thinking of just purchasing a kit they dont seem too expensive . Unless you guys can sell me the vette stuff thats better and cheaper
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 07:17 AM

The kits are cheaper. But I wont say their better.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

If I read it correctly, I can use set up from 1972 Delta 88. ? I can get the front set up for 150. Input please thanks . Also any c3 set ups for sale ?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 08:27 AM

The 72 Olds stuff wont work. Ball joints are different and the wheel bolt pattern is 5". We don't sell parts in the forums, but we do in the classifieds section. I have found 2 sets of 69-70 Impala brakes for both my cars for under 300.00 ea.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 02:02 PM
BA.

I don't want to convolute the thread but this is somewhat relevant.

If I recall correctly that the C3 Vette spindle is a viable option, used with appropriate C3 Vette Rotor/Caliper.......what outer tie-rod link would be used?
I was concerned that if it were the C3 Vette outer tie-rod needed, that the thread diameter might be different for the sleeve connecting to the inner tie-rod.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 03:49 PM

From what I have read, the Corvette spindle is the same as the 69-70 Impala spindle. So I would imagine its a direct bolt on using 69-70 tie rods. I used the 69 tie rods from the Impala I removed the brakes from. The threaded shaft was longer than my stock 65's.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

anyone have the link to the disc brake sets for sale in classified?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 09:31 PM

When I did my disc brake conversion on my '66 Pontiac Strato-Chief, I went out and bought a complete set of used C3 front brakes-spindles and all. Believe me when I say that any '65-'82 'Vette brakes will work. Remember though that the L88 'Vette's had the bigger J56 calipers-dual pin caliper. Very rare from '67-'69. It was such a simple swap I just had to buy new rotors-front- dust shields, and calipers. I then-get this- also installed the same brakes on the 12 bolt rear end that was in the car. Well I first did the rears then I did the fronts. Took me 4 months to figure out the rear and to make them functionable and OEM looking. I had the only "JL8" style brakes on a "B" body Pontiac on the planet!! Parts consisted of C3 'Vette and '69 Camaro parts from the JL8 parts bin.

If anyone needs any more info regarding this easy swap feel free to contact me for advice. I'll PM you pic's if needed.......
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 12:18 PM

The common kits use smaller 11" rotors and smaller calipers designed for Chevelles, Novas, and Camaros. The 1967-1970 Impala brakes and the 1965-82 brakes use 11.75" rotors. It doesn't sound like much, there is a HUGE difference in stopping power. Go with the bigger rotors.

1967 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible - Ermine White C1
1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 - Marina Blue FF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page