1964 front shock mount question - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

1964 front shock mount question

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has a pic of their frame. I'm picking up a 64 Impala soon and know that someone has "butchered" up the shock mounts for the front. They torched the control arms, instead of removing them, to get access to the shock mounts. Then it looks as if they welded in some custom mounts that look pretty bad and i would like to tidy this up pretty soon along with new control arms. Since I have never been that deep on an Impala, i was just wondering if anyone had a visual aid before i tear into this as to what it was supposed to originally look like. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 03:40 PM

Welcome to the Team Russell!

If you check our archive there are several old threads that are discussing the virtues of an Air Ride suspension (sounds like some one made the attempt and realized that they got in over their heads and then sold you their car from what you have described). In those articles we have a series of stock and aftermarket Ride Tech and other companies parts illustrated in a lot of full size pictures.

You can also see how your Chevy was built by referring to the Assembly manual. It has every part (or sub assembly) that was bolted to your car with attaching torque values or an explanation of how it was attached if an adhesive was used to attach the part. It has a line drawing showing everything on your car (often a line drawing is less complicated and conveys the information more clearly. The Chassis Service manual shows how the parts that wear out on your frame are attached and hoe to replace or rebuild them. The regular shop manual is referred to as the Service manual and it includes all of the common things on your car that break or wear out under the five year 50,0000 mile warranty GM offered back when these cars were new.

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/196...FdcWgQodxbsA1A

I couldn't find a Chassis Service manual currently being offered but they come up frequently. Prices for all of these manuals vary from $25 to $40 each based upon supply and demand as most of these are reprints and not the factory issued originals published by Helm.

http://www.impalas.com/1964-impala-s...lsize-car.html

Big Dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Dave
Thanks for the reply. I did peruse the archive some. Didn't see torn down, restoration photos that i was hoping to see. I have the service manual for the car. And again, it doesn't have it either.
I honestly do not think someone was trying to do air ride, because they would have had the control arms off more than likely, and would not have had to torch these.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 01:01 AM

Russell, any chance of getting some photos and posting? I did my front suspension last year and the worst of it was someone taking a torch to the coils to get a couple inch drop. I went with stock coils and 2" drop spindles instead which turned out beautifully. Best part was keeping the correct symmetry for the alignment. As for the shock mount, I would think it's really hard to torch the upper shock mount without taking at least the shock and coil out - so a picture of what they did would help visualize. Hopefully you can get away with just new upper and lower control arms and no frame welding. There's a thread in here somewhere on the components I used and I did this on a budget of ~$2,000 with an upgrade to front discs and pretty much a complete overhaul of front suspension. Well worth it in the handling dept. Good luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been traveling for work so much lately. I have some grainy pics. I'll post them whe I'm back around. But I can assure you that the shock mounts are torched and gone. In their place are a couple pieces of 3/8" thick steel plates with a single hole drilled through. I'm going to see if I can find a donor chassis soon and rob them off there. Along with new control arms.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 11:32 PM

Late to the party with this response, but if it helps....

Mine was not a frame off, being a California car, the rust situation was minimal. I did clean and spray the inside of the frame with some stuff from Eastwood. And then painted the outside with some frame paint.

Yeah, I kept hitting my head there, so I put a bit of foam there ;D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 11:36 PM

Oh, you will probably run into this question. Best to know the answer before you install it ;D

"Which way do the upper control arm shafts go?"

The wiggle in the upper control arm shaft is there to give some extra clearance for the steering shaft. I think both sides have the wiggle, but it only matters on the driver's side.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

dcairns.....thank you for those awesome shots.
sadly, it looks pretty bad for me then. from the way i see it, the frame from shock mount/control arms forward is a separate piece than behind. from looking above on my car, the top of the control arm is torched open back to the control arm shaft. then a 3/8" steel plate welded in to act as the shock mount. looks like it will be quite a bit of fabrication even taking as much as possible from a donor frame. hmmm....i would have never thought the frame was split there.
Thanks again!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 02:59 PM

Sounds like some one installed a backyard out yonder under the big tree, air lift system: then uninstalled expensive parts from the car to sell you a failed project.

Big Dave
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Knowing the owner prior and that I'm only the third owner, I am sure that this was not an air ride failure. Neither of the previous two owners would have been interested in that. The guy I bought it from had a shady mechanic who cut a few corners but thats it. This may have been his shoddy work at repairing damaged shock mounts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 11:11 PM

64 front shock mounts

I had the same problem. The front end of the Impala someone had installed hydraulic cylinders. They had hole saw a 1 5/8" hole where the shock hole was at. I can't install shocks until I repair the hole. However after the hole is repaired I need stock measurements of the original 3/8 shock hole location to drill the hole in its correct spot lust like factory. Does anybody have those measurements or can anybody measure the center of the shock hole on a stock frame? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page