1960 rear end alignment issues - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

1960 rear end alignment issues

I know from past experience that the rear ends in the x frame cars tend be closer on the driver's side. On our 61 with 255 50 17 there is more space on the passenger side between the quarter panel and the tire.

I attempted to put this same tire and wheel on our 60 and it is much more off center than the 61. There is way too much room on the passenger side and I cant get the tire/wheel on the driver's side.

What is the proper way to square up the rear ends in these cars. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 03:32 PM

I had that long skinny bar cut and then welded back with 1/2 inch less meat. That worked perfect for me 19 years ago and it is still holding. Sorry I dont know the name .
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I guess you are talking about the panhard or track bar.

Do you happen to remember how much difference there was from side to side?

Thanks

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 08:16 PM

The Panhard bar centers the rear end at stock ride height. If you have lowered your car (or if it has the original coil springs that it left the factory with) then those springs will be sagging an inch and half to two inches below stock ride height already. As such the rear end will not be centered in the frame. You can buy an adjustable Panhard bar from many suspension vendors like Hotchkiss that will allow you to center the rear whatever the ride height is.

Big Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Big Dave, I understand what you are saying. I also have a 61 and a 64 and all 3 are stock ride height with what I assume are the original springs. Only the 60 is off this far. I'm not sure an adjustable panhard bar would have enough adjustment to center the rear it is off so far.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 07:30 AM

It has been too many years to remember how much it was off.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 02:25 PM

I would examine it to see what the issue is. A former owner may have torched a spring to lower it resulting in the spring collapsing. You could also have control arms with the rubber bushings completely missing (which would be dangerous to drive). There could also be former collision damage that bent a suspension control arm. Any of these can cause the rear end to be off centered.

Big Dave
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I would examine it to see what the issue is. A former owner may have torched a spring to lower it resulting in the spring collapsing. You could also have control arms with the rubber bushings completely missing (which would be dangerous to drive). There could also be former collision damage that bent a suspension control arm. Any of these can cause the rear end to be off centered.

Big Dave
I drove this car only a couple miles before we took it apart. It seemed to drive very well. There are no signs of collision damage at all. We are going to look at things closer. I appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page